Opinions wanted. MWF vs. Tabac

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by NCoxSTL, May 10, 2015.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Mitchell's Wool Fat

41.0%
  2. Tabac

59.0%
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Just curious on the opinions of those who have used Mitchell's and Tabac. Which do you prefer and why? I'm going to order one or the other later tonight...yes I know I could solve the issue and order both....but I'm trying to avoid a confrontation with SWMBO about how I'm saving money by spending it. I can get both in a very nice wooden bowl which I like. Just curious as to which works best for those who have tried them.

Spyder and PatrickA51 like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Tabac. This stuff is super easy to lather, unlike MWF which can be very finiky to lather. Some people have no problem getting it to lather though most do. You may be one of the few to get it to lather up for you on a consistent basis.
    And I like the scent of Tabac, while many don't.

While MWF may be a very good soap, I refuse to fight with it and opt for the hundreds of other soaps out there that are just as good and are easy to lather.

marvs, dscaver, PatrickA51 and 5 others like this.
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

4. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I voted MWF. I have no issue generating lather (my avatar is MWF), performance and post feel is fantastic. after MdC it is a real close 2nd. Tabac is my 3rd favorite.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    PatrickA51 and NCoxSTL like this.
  5. s869010

s869010 New Member

I have both, and I like Tabac better.
    It's very easy lathering and performance is equal to well lathered MWF.
    Scent is not an issue for me, I love both.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    By a small margin, I voted for Tabac. They both lather well for me and provide for a great shave. I do like the Tabac scent.

PatrickA51, Tdmsu and NCoxSTL like this.
  7. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

MWF for as I prefer its light scent compared to the powerful scent of Tabac. Perfomance for both is beyond belief so you can't go wrong there.

PatrickA51, Jayaruh and NCoxSTL like this.
  8. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I voted Tabac. It lathers easier and works just as well as MWF. I like the scent of Tabac better, too. MWF just smells like soap - not bad by any means.

PatrickA51, Jayaruh and NCoxSTL like this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Both are fine soaps.
    I much prefer the subtle scent of MWF over the Tabac scent. Tabac is far easier to lather than MWF, but once one gets the MWF to yield, the resulting lather is tough to beat….

PatrickA51, NCoxSTL and Jayaruh like this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I voted for Tabac, always easy to lather, slick yogurt lather with cushion and great aftershave feel. In my water MWF only produces airy quickly dissipating lather. It is a really effort to get it to work including using distilled water.

I also enjoy Tabac's scent.

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Thanks for sharing. I have no doubt that both are great products. Reviews certainly bear that out as well. Decided to follow the leader and order the Tabac tonight. I do like scented soaps. I'm sure I'll be ordering the MWF in the next couple of weeks as well. It's just how SAD works.

PatrickA51 and Tdmsu like this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Just know that if you find either not to your liking, you'll have no problem finding takers to whom you can pass the unwanted puck. ;)

13. TheDude82

TheDude82 Well-Known Member

Too late now, but my MWF sit on the shelf for the most part. Tabac comes out more frequently. I have found that even though it lathers great, a few drops of glycerin really the face feel great after the shave!!! MWF is a fine soap but I reach for Tabac more often due to scent AND performance.

14. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I think that MWF is over priced and over rated. I have it did a test lather and shave. I have never used the Tabac, and I really can't give a good comparison. I do use a lot of Stirling Shaving Soaps, also VDH Shaving Soap, and William's Mug Shaving Soap. I think that the MWF smells a little like my Van der-Williams mixture.

Mr. Shaverman and NCoxSTL like this.
  15. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Wool fat!!!!!!! Both are amazing soaps. Tabac is easier to lather but mwf is the best soap made in my opinion. Great post shave. Super slick.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  16. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I like MWF, but for me there is no difficulty in separating these two soaps.
    My very first straight razor shave was completed using Tabac, and it
    was a success because of its slickness. I know the smell is a deal breaker for some,
    but I like it. Also, the excellent qualities of this soap far outweigh any smell issues.
    Not as pricey as MWF, Tabac is very smooth and slick, extremely easy to lather with boar,
    horse, or badger brush, (something MWF certainly can't say) and leaves my face feeling just fine.
    It is my #1 soap when shaving with a straight razor, (there are others, but Tabac is always good)
    and is one of only a few soaps that keep well stocked. I'll do without many things,
    but Tabac ain't one 'em.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I know many will disagree and that's quite ok. We all have different tastes and ideas and that is not only normal but sometimes helpful to members on TSD

I am not a big fan of Tabac but I do like the way it lathers and the smell does not offend me. MWF however is the hardest soap to lather that I have ever used. It does leave my face feeling good and I like the scent even though it is minimal. The fact that it takes so long to lather is a deal breaker for me, just not worth it There are so many others that will out perform MWF and most are less $$. Just my opinion

Bristle Me and NCoxSTL like this.
  18. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I keep seeing post about mwf being high priced. Its only $13 for a refill puck.

I think i payed almost the same for mwf and tabac.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Both are excellent tallow-based soaps. Both afford super cushion and slickness. The biggest difference is the scent. Tabac does have a unique, strong scent that not all like. I do. MWF has a fresh, light-soapy scent that is not at all "pushy", it stays in the background. Lathering issues may be real for some, but not for me; they both produce superior lathers that afford smooth shaves.

20. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

these are both great soaps IMO and it depends on what I am in the mood for that day. its like comparing apples to oranges in my eyes.