Opportunity for Experts to Inform the dim witted (That would be Me)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Peter Cupitt, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

Hi Smart People,
    I have bought a few things, among which are approx 30 OLD DE Blades (2 I would automatically consider bin material). Can anyone offer some info on these old blades?? I am going to try sharpening/stropping a few too, to see if I can breath some life back into the poor old things.
    You may also note the Twinplex Hone which appears to be in good order and YES, I KNOW, MORE Arco soap ( I can't move for all the Arco soap surrounding me aarrggghhhhhh ) 20131204_194028sml.jpg 20131205_165435sml.jpg

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Just make sure the blade edges are "COMPLETELY" germ and rust free before you attempt to use them,!! "Be Careful" lockJaw,tetnus etc. "REALLY" put a damper on shaving..:(
    Let us know how the TwinPlex works on the blades and especially if you try it on any modern blades?
    You can "NEVER" have to much Arko...:happy088:

Star, TSimons and Peter Cupitt like this.
  3. Peter Cupitt

Spot on Eddie !!! I will be disinfecting them to within an inch of their lives. May even try flame disinfecting (Carefully). I am really looking forward to finding out if the Twinplex works as I previously found this baby

to be EXCELLENT !!

HolyRollah likes this.
  4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

This is just what I've read, but the consensus was that these sharpeners seemed to work best with carbon steel blades. Not that they won't work on stainless blades, but the results were better with carbon steel.

5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

What is that match book looking product you have there?

6. Peter Cupitt

I think that rather than better results on carbon blades, the same result is gained in half the time/effort. For example of it takes 5 "strokes" for a carbon steel blade to achieve a keen edge, then it may take 10 "strokes" for a stainless steel blade.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  7. Peter Cupitt

They are Styptic "matches" to stop bleeding from small cuts. Basically these are great for traveling so you don't have to carry around a bigger alum block, or if you are not alone and two or more people need to stop small bleeding cuts, you don't need to share a styptic pencil or alum block (dodgey), you simply rip off one "match" and give it to your wife/friend/whatever, they then wet the tip rub it on their cut and simply throw the "match" in the bin.
    I got these for FREE with my Arko soap pucks sent from Turkey. Pretty sweet huh?

8. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I could see those coming in handy.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've never used 'em, but WCS carries them. I'm sure others do, as well.

Williams Warrior likes this.
  10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The whales must need much bigger matches, tho. :innocent

11. Peter Cupitt

Ever tried holding a whale still while his cut stings ??? It's a tough job, but, Hey, Someone's gotta shave the whales ;)

12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I can only imagine! We all thank you for your sacrifices to whale grooming standards.

13. Peter Cupitt

A word to the wise,......... when applying styptic matches to a whales shaving cut ........................... STAY WAY FROM THE BLOWHOLE (alternatively, be ready to power rinse your Razor and Brush).