Oumo Brush "Hook"

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by mvd, Oct 28, 2019.

1. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

I was eyeing the Oumobrush or Oumo Brush vendor on aliexpress or alibaba (not sure on the difference) and decided to give their finest two-band "hook" brush a try. I found and continue to find the site difficult to navigate, difficult to find information on, and generally hard to use. Likewise, it is hard to tell what the real difference is between their brushes. Based on what I researched, I decided to give the "hook" brush a try.

Clearly, "hook" is marketing jargon referring to hooked tips on badger brushes as a desirable quality. Frankly, I don't know if I would know a hooked tip if it jumped up and bit me on the behind. I suspect the hype is exactly that--just hype. I am skeptical of hook brushes and gel tips.

Who knows, though; I am happy to be proved wrong.

My real goal was to fine something close to Maggards SHD. I hope this Oumo Brush is close. Based on the look and feel out of the box, it is indeed quite dense and a bit scratchy. I am hopeful.

I have to check my receipt, but I think these doubled in price from 45 CAD to 74 wow! Also available from APShaveco apparently.

I hope to be able to plant this guy in a handle in the next few weeks.

Has anyone else tried these? Any thoughts?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

178-bplatoon, RyX, Enrico and 3 others like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Paperboy

Article Team
    I know some knots "hook" (the tips curl) during the sterilization process. It's supposed to give a softer face feel as a bonus.

That's a good looking knot.

Edit: You also mentioned gel tips. Brushes with Gel tips were common around 2011-12. Basically, the brush tips 'gel' together in clumps.

This behaviour is not natural to the brush knot. It is caused as a byproduct of a mistake in the bleaching and/or sterilization process. So is hooking.

The shaving brush industry seems to be unique in it's ability to pass off (what could arguably be called) manufacturing defects as a better brush. Different? Certainly. Better? It really depends on the eye of the beholder.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    gfaulknor, RyX, Enrico and 3 others like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've been looking over their site and the prices are reasonable. I just haven't tried them yet; let us know how they are.

:eatdrink013:

mvd likes this.
  4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Supporting Vendor
    I have a pair of 30mm SHD Manchuria brushes in bound. I also have some Maggard SHD brushes, a Fanchrian V2, and TnS Tip knot I can compare them to. Looking forward to your reviews

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

mvd likes this.
  5. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

Thank you for the history! The use of gel as in "gel together" while also suggesting softness is pretty clever, I admit, from a marketing standpoint. We often seem to be victims of our own passion for this niche hobby when we pounce on new developments. I have a new handle all lined up. I just need to bore out the hole about a mm and then polish it up. I am really curious to see how it holds up against my Maggards SHD and my TGN 2-band.

Linuxguile and PLANofMAN like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Paperboy

Article Team
    Make sure you chamfer the edge. It's one of the things that seems to be almost unique to wolf whiskers brushes. It will keep the sharp edge from cutting through the hair during use.

mvd likes this.