oversized pivot holes

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by neiasden, Oct 2, 2022.

1. neiasden

neiasden Member

I saw a video by one of the smartest people there is on straight razors in my opinion. he was talking about washers that get stuck in the wood. the solution was drilling the whole bigger putting super glue in it letting it dry and redrilling it. this will help prevent that. great idea. how many people use this method or know about it?

just thought I would throw this up there there doesn't seem to be a lot of threads that address the issue someone like me has. but that is one of them getting pens the right length in the washers on them that's another story too LOL one that I'm sure time and practice is the only solution, doesn't make it any easier though. and gssixgun, that dude's just awesome

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I use epoxy, not Cyano Acetate (Super Glue).

3. neiasden

neiasden Member

I think I am just going to use a 1/16 inch pivot hole with a 1/16-in rod and see how that works LOL I'm sure I don't understand what's going on it's supposed to strengthen the wood, by drilling in it twice? and how much difference are we talking $0.02 out of a million or $980,000 out of a million

4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    For a 1/16 rod you want to drill a 5/64 hole trust me on this, you need a slight bit of slop to account for the percussion bulge that you will probably get when pinning..

The Super Glue penetrates the wood to make it stronger, so the washers don't sink into the wood..

This helps as the razor gets older especially with woods that are softer of the Jenka Hardness scale

Hint: Practice your pinning techniques using a couple of Popsicle sticks, if you can pin those without cracking them you should be safe on scales

Hint #2: The force to use while pinning, put your finger down on the table, hit the cuticle right at that most sensitive spot with your hammer.. If it hurts you are hitting too hard, No I am not kidding, it is the best way to understand what we mean by Tap Tap Tappity Tap

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Ok, I thought you guys were talking about repairing oversized holes.

gssixgun likes this.
  6. neiasden

neiasden Member

great advice thank you

7. neiasden

neiasden Member

everything I learned I found out I was wrong I was very clear on what size drill bits to get and apparently I got the wrong size LOL how big of a issue is this exactly.

8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

I think we are talking to different issues here
    He is talking about oversized holes in the Tang aka the Pivot Hole, many of the older Sheffields were hot punched and this created oversized uneven holes
    These can be filled with epoxy or sleeved to allow a tighter Wedge vs Nose fit

This is what you are watching right ???

9. neiasden

neiasden Member

yes. you guys are smart, you also get to see what my brother-in-law of 35 years has got to go through. he answers a lot of stuff about this never having used one, but he does have a workshop and he built a two-story house in the woods did his own electric plumbing and he is a computer engineer retired LOL but he all the time tells me what it is I'm trying to tell him this might be one of those instances LOLOTE="gssixgun, post: 2052692, member: 2180"]I think we are talking to different issues here
    He is talking about oversized holes in the Tang aka the Pivot Hole, many of the older Sheffields were hot punched and this created oversized uneven holes
    These can be filled with epoxy or sleeved to allow a tighter Wedge vs Nose fit

This is what you are watching right ???

[/QUOTE]