OxiClean darkened my vintage handle

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by grump, Jan 28, 2015.

1. grump

grump Well-Known Member

After restoring my vintage Klenzo, I discovered this knot stunk like no other. I cleaned the brush with shampoo and conditioner and it still stunk. I lathered it a few times but it still stunk like a wet animal smell. I then used dish soap(Dawn, vinegar and water) and I could still smell it. After all those steps, I decided to try OxiClean. I retrieved some from the basement and put about a quarter cup in a wide mouth pint jar, added hot water, swirled and agitated the brush in the solution and left it soak for 15 minutes. I pulled it out, rinsed it really well under running water, gave it a sniff and it was better. I figured it was working so why not one more time. I made another solution, set the brush in, set the timer for 20 minutes and waited. The time went off and I went to pull the brush out and noticed there were bubbles overflowing from the jar. I grabbed the brush out, rinsed it and noticed the darkening of the handle. It just looks like I aged it some.

I just wanted to let you know that if you use OxiClean on a vintage handle it may darken it.

Ceferguson likes this.
  2. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Here is a quick photo. The darkening is closest to the knot, the right side is darker and there are some streaks.

[​IMG]

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Bakleite brushes turn butterscotch color under UV light over time. If left long enough, they turn into a root beer color. What has happened is the Oxyclean has penetrated in certain areas (micro fissures too small to be seen) and has accelerated the butterscotching process causing some areas to turn more of root beer shade. Do not attempt to polish it out because you can reek havoc with the rest of the butterscotch color and still have dark spots.

Sorry this happened, but I don't use Oxyclean or any other bleach on any brushes.

grump and CyanideMetal like this.
  4. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

Wow. White Phenolic plastics like bakelite and especially catalin turn butterscotch due to oxidation. The plastic is converted to phenyl alcohol by UV light, thus turning the colors. Blue turns olive, red goes brown, etc. Brush handles that have turned butterscotch are especially prized for some reason, and sell at premium prices. And you just accidentally figured out how to counterfeit the aging process. Science is cool.

grump likes this.
  5. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Butterscotch is so pretty!

grump likes this.
  6. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Personally I think its looks fine.

grump likes this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Thankfully, the handle still looks nice (at least, to me.) Of course, the "oxy" in Oxyclean stands for oxygen, so it will accelerate the process of oxidation. It is good that this was posted, to make people aware of the issue.

grump, Mr. Shaverman and BigMark like this.
  8. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

It looks really nice to me.
    How does it smell after the treatment?

grump likes this.
  9. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I think it looks pretty good too. Like others have said, you're oxidizing something when you use OXIclean. I'd recommend never using it.

grump likes this.
  10. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Glad to to say it smells neutral now and taking on some soap scent. The OxiClean does work!

11. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

I agree that it looks great. Personally, I would roll the dice and try and get it darker. But that is me. I am not adverse to wrecking something in an attempt to make it 'better'. I may get some Oxi Clean and experiment!

12. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Looks fine to me and I would also experiment in trying to get it darker.