Palmolive soap stick discontinued.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by 782sirbrian, Jan 22, 2015.

1. 782sirbrian

782sirbrian Well-Known Member

Over on the Shaving room word has it the Palmolive shaving soap stick has been killed off and also the cream, a member got an email from Palmolive with the news :sad024:.
    Best value soap made for 50p.

Sevenbark likes this.
  2. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I hope this isn't true. I have two Palmolive sticks and two tubes of Palmolive Menthol. Both products are fantastic.

3. 782sirbrian

Here's the email the member of the UK forum Shaving room recieved ....

Dear Mr ......,

Thank you for your recent inquiry about Palmolive Classic Shaving Stick. We appreciate your interest in our Company and are pleased to have the opportunity to respond.

We regret to inform you that the product you are interested in is not currently being manufactured. In response to decreased consumer demand, we sometimes have to stop manufacturing a product. Unfortunately, we do not have any remaining stock to offer you directly. Although we cannot accommodate you at this time, we realise the importance of hearing from consumers, such as you, in order to remain aware of your continued interest. We will be sure to share your comments with our Business Development Group.

We would like to inform you that the whole range of Palmolive Shaving products has been discountinued in UK except from Palmolive Shaving Sensitive Gel. However you should be able to find Palmolive Shaving products as well the Stick in value stores like Pound Land, Savers etc.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in our Company and its products.

Yours sincerely

Heni Buhac
    Consumer Services Representative

4. KLF

KLF Doctorin

wow...where is the dislike button ?

alpla444 likes this.
  5. Ryan B

Can't be too careful, so I ordered a tube of Classic, Menthol, and an extra shave stick. I regret that I was never able to pick these things up in person.

6. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

That's a bummer as I happen to like the cream.

Oasisdave likes this.
  7. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

The passing of an era... The email is a little ambiguous-I wonder if it will still be available outside the UK? That might mean mail order will continue for most of us.

8. Ryan B

I imagine the stocks that vendors have will dry up quickly just like Irisch Moos, Floid Blue (before it came back,) and other shaving items.

9. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I can find it here in Sweden almost in every grocery store. I hope to always be able to get this product. It's very nice and reliable!

alpla444 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  10. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Ahhh, this is disappointing if its true. I hate to see a mainstream product bit the dust.
    Palmolive makes a shave stick in Germany, a cream in Belgium, and two Italian creams if I remember correctly. Are they all going away or is this just the stick? Maybe a group buy from Life&Looks is in order...

11. 782sirbrian

I'm out grocery shopping tomorrow so I'll see what there's on the shelf in Asda. I'm guessing the stocks will slowly die out over the coming weeks/months.
    I'm surprised the stick has lasted until now. Most mainstream/regular wet shavers would use the canned stuff is my guess.
    The sticks are usually on the bottom shelf out of sight almost.

12. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

13. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

Nice soap hate to see it go. wished they made a puck. I was getting ready to grate some up, but will hold the stick for travel now.

14. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

I never understand why companies phase out products that work.

15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

They aren't making money on it.

Bristle Me and Darkbulb like this.
  16. TitanTTB

If they aren't making money it seems hasty to discontinue it. They could try a price increase, heck double the price from 50p to £1. People would grumble but it would still be on the market. Once its gone its gone.

782sirbrian likes this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

So if you ran a business and lost money on a product due to poor sales, you would continue to make it and increase the price so even less people would buy it?

That makes no sense at all.

18. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

At a business stand point your best option would be to redesign the product to make it more appealing to a new customer basis as well as the old ones. Don't change the products quality just the way its advertised to the customer.

19. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

Well that's selfish this is about our needs.

PanChango likes this.
  20. TitanTTB

If less people buy a product you can scale back production & charge more for it (to make your margins) and still have a market share. If it doesn't sell at the new price then it will go away but at least you tried.
    It's possible they considered a price hike and the brick and mortars just weren't on board - then again the calculus is different for these large companies so they may have just axed it to neaten up the product line. Palmolive isn't my fav but I still think its a pity to see it go.

grump likes this.