Pandemic Lockdown Meals

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Mar 29, 2020.

1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Last night we had stuffed bell peppers. I'm working really hard at have a salad or fruit for one meal.

Frijolero and DaltonGang like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Made pasta from scratch for the first time instead of lamb burgers. Not too bad for a first try. Had with red sauce and a nice montepulciano.

Attach22392_20200405_170835.jpg

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Now that is cool. I've always wanted to do that.

4. richgem

Thanks. It was super easy. Definitely give it a try. I got the machine at Walmart online. Originally something like $65 marked down to 21.

5. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Wild pig backstrap kabobs. I realize they are a nuisance so if y’all have a problem send me a pm!

;)

Frijolero and DaltonGang like this.
  6. DaltonGang

I had a machine, many years ago, and someone borrowed it. Never to be seen again. I have even given them as gifts. Now, I'm going to look at them again. My wife and daughter are home for this Corona stuff, and this will give them something to do. All your fault if I get yelled at, for buying another kitchen gadget. Just saying. :prrr:

Frijolero and richgem like this.
  7. richgem

I'll take the blame for ya. :)

And $21 ... you'd be letting a good deal get away if you pass it up.

DaltonGang likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

I spent the morning making three large pans of Lasagna. Two went in the Deep Freezer.
    I have one in the oven now, and it is going to be a goooood dinner.

9. richgem

Made ravioli for the first time... they're not pretty, but they'll get the job done. Italian sausage w/ pesto filling. No cheese. Will serve with a blob of red sauce.

10. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Deconstructed egg rolls.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Frijolero likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

Finished product. I am spending the last two hours recovering from eating too much.
    Lasagna
    Green Beans
    Buttered Italian Bread.

Frijolero and Queen of Blades like this.
  12. richgem

You probably should have skipped the green beans.;)

13. DaltonGang

You are probably right. Didn't need those extra calories. :D

richgem likes this.
  14. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Had ordered 2 cases of sardines right before the madness began. Therefore my typical lockdown lunch is a variation of this theme
    lunch.jpg

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

How about Red Grapes as a dessert?

DaltonGang likes this.
  16. DaltonGang

That's a very interesting spatula, you are using for your sardines. Care to talk about it??

17. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Certainly, it is a sardine fork/server made in Sweden. It's the perfect shape for putting a sardine on toast/cracker/ryecrisp without breaking it and with the right amount of olive oil/mustard/hot sauce/etc. I inherited it from my grandmother as I am the only grandchild with a passion for sardines (which I acquired from my grandfather and father during numerous camping/hunting trips).
    IMG_20200407_182829434.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  18. DaltonGang

Very unique. I like it.

Ursa and americanshamrock like this.
  19. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

That sardine fork is a cool gadget.

Today: family secret recipe sausage and cheese rolls, collards and green beans.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

20. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

Mrs Slash has been trying to lose weight for some time now, and works for Shell, with an office in One Shell Square, now renamed Hancock-Whitney Tower or some such drivel but still locally referred to as One Shell Square. It is a ginormous building and she always had plenty of opportunity to walk long distances inside, just going to meetings and stuff. Now that she is working from home and I am confining my activities to the house and my little workshop out back, we aren't burning as many calories as before, though we do sort of defy the stay at home thing and have a short daily walk, with masks on and maintaining social distancing from other people doing the same thing.

Anyway we are currently severely restricting our calories so we basically eat one sort of normal meal a day, no desert and limited starches, and one or two mini meals. I am down to one glass of ale a day, with supper. We have one cocktail every evening, a different one every night out of the 50 or 60 in her repertoire. I do the cooking. We are eating a lot of seafood, of course, and shrimp and tuna are a staple of ours anyway. We occasionally have salmon or tuna cakes, dry fried in just a couple tablespoons of olive oil to brown and then covered to cook through. Eating a lot of snapper and cod, grilled or broiled or dry fried, topped with various sauces, sometimes on rice, sometimes on romaine, sometimes on ramen noodles (we toss the "flavor packets" that are about 99% salt LOL!)

We have beans every Monday of course, but usually pinto beans cooked a la charra, rather than the traditional red beans. About once a day we have a shake in place of a regular meal, and we eat a lot of salads especially in the three days or so following our weekly or biweekly grocery runs or deliveries. I have been stocking up a bit on canned and dry goods when opportunity presents. Hurricane season is right around the corner anyway. It's always either here, or right around the corner.

One thing we like particularly for "roughing it" food is the La Choy canned chow mein meal and the associated crunchy noodles. The secret to great taste is to drain and RINSE the vegetables to get rid of the bitter taste, and flavor with Slap Ya Mama, low sodium soy sauce, and sherry. I add the liquids to the sauce and then cook it down a bit before adding the veggies. Good stuff, quick and easy, and reasonably cheap. One set of cans is a meal for the two of us. Beats the hell out of those stupid shakes, that's for sure. A can of chicken or a handful of frozen shrimp cooked into the sauce kicks up the protein and the eating satisfaction just a bit.

Once a week we have a cheat meal, usually a very thick ribeye or double stacker cheeseburgers on the hibachi. The ribeyes I usually air dry and then rub down good with Slap Ya Mama, sear in one of my ginormous cast iron skillets then add sherry or port and slow cook to about medium under a glass lid. They come out very tasty with good flavor development, and the leavings make a great gravy or soup base. We also like to debone and roll a whole chicken and roast it. Once chilled, it slices into nice rounds that are great on a sammitch or cut up into a salad or quick seared and served between gravy and rice. Lately they are usually all out of whole chickens though.

Live seafood is crazy cheap right now but who wants to boil crawfish for... two? Meh. I do want to do a nice gumbo soon though. We are overdue for a seafood gumbo. I always cook a big pot and we freeze most of it just like the beans, in meal size zip locks. Thinking about getting a sack of oysters and doing something nice with them, too. They big oyster houses are of course closed so demand is down. I might make a big oyster stew and can it. Got plenty of quart mason jars and two big stove top pressure cookers.

All in all our lockdown meals are pretty good, and not seriously affected by the situation except we don't have company over, so more for us.

Ursa, Frijolero and DaltonGang like this.