Partex Barbers Towels, some thoughts

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by youngunn, Nov 21, 2015.

1. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Partex "The Barbershop" Gentleman's Salon Towels, a review of sorts

I was tired of using up all of my wife's hand towels and wash cloths while shaving, and wanted something for when I do SR shaves and wipe the blade.

It had to have multiple uses, for hot towels, and of course drying the face afterwards, and also not have too much knap for when wiping a SR blade.

I also wanted traditional.

So I looked into what's been used in barbershops for the last 60 years probably, the traditional barbers towel.

I bought a dozen of the Partex brand towels from Amazon for around $15 shipped, with Prime.

They are 16x25.

What makes them different from, say, a dish towel of the same size? You know, those sack cloth towels?

While they look like they might be similar, I.E. thinner and 16x25, they are much different. This has to do with the herringbone weave in the barber towels. It makes them thicker, stronger. They hold heat better.

Now why wouldn't I just use a big fluffy handtowel of the same 16x25 size?

I don't know about you, but when one of those things is soaking wet, it becomes really cumbersome. Just heavy.

When using it to wipe my SR, the little loops of the knap tend to get caught and also while they seem to be soft they actually are quite rough unless you are buying some Ritz Carlton quality towels. Which I can't afford... Hehe you know. Gotta have money for razors. The flat texture of the barber towels lends itself better to the task in my opinion.

I know it seems silly to do a simple writeup about towels, but this is for anyone who is interested in these and is on the fence about them. I'd say buy them and give them a shot. If you don't like them use them as dish towels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I'm afraid the horizontal stripes would make my razors look fat.

3. youngunn

Rotate towel 90°... Slimming!

4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Genius! I may order some to tuck in my collar

wristwatchb and youngunn like this.
  5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

my wife likes new towels, she also likes Clorox to clean with.
    so whenever one of our house towels gets damaged or worn. she rips it in thirds. it's then relegated to my bathroom for shave duty.
    she gets new ones.

I like em(shave towels) worn. she rips then to the size I like. few people see them in my den. seems like a winning system.

wristwatchb, Joef and youngunn like this.
  6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

1.jpg :D

PLANofMAN and youngunn like this.
  7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Those are the very towels I buy for myself. I like them a lot. They're relegated to the garage after a hundred or so laundry cycles.

youngunn likes this.
  8. youngunn

Yeah I'm liking them so far.

9. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

SWMBO calls them my one a day towels. They're used for the face first then to police up the bathroom counter and basin. They're also tough so a bleaching every so often only makes them softer.

youngunn likes this.
  10. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

You can find them at Sally Beauty Supply too.

youngunn likes this.