Perfume: Part Two

Discussion in 'Scents' started by The Scent Fairy, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Scent Fairy

The Scent Fairy New Member

2. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

This is brilliant Gary.. it outlines the different fragrance groups in a simple and completely understandable way.. I LOVE this post! I know that you have hours of work into this one..... there is no way that could just roll off your tongue like so many other beautiful things do.... Gary this is just Awesome, thank you for sharing!

3. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    A very amazing read. I learned a lot from this. This is information that will help me to understand why I like certain scents. Thank you.

4. Will

Will Nevermind

WOW!

That was great. GIVE ME MORE :D

Thanks Gary.

5. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

That is fabulous ! :cool:
    Thanks for the time and effort, Gary.

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Thank you very much, Gary for this very informative and well-written text! :D :cool:

7. Jim

Jim The Goose Is Loose

Thanks Gary!

8. The Scent Fairy

Now Sparky, if you'd like to learn more about the groups, go to wwwbasenotes.net. Just about every fragrance made for men is reviewed there, as well as a basic engredient profile which will help you identify the things in a fragrance you like. I think this will help you make more informed choices in your future purchases. Once you're able to profile the particular fragrance group you like best, you'll be able to choose them more easily. No more hit and miss.

9. The Scent Fairy

Fougere Formula

Guys,

I am so sorry. I got so caught up in writing this second part that I completely forgot that I was going to include a basic Fougere formula for those who'd like to try a little blending.

This is what is called a base. These are the basic materials that make up the skeleton, to which the perfumer adds other notes to create the scent that he/she has in mind.

You can add a drop or two to an existing fragrance you may have that needs a little lift. After you do, shake the bottle and let it sit for two weeks to allow your addition to marry with the fragrance. I think you'll see a difference in the character when you try it next.

FOUGERE BASE

Lavender 14 drops
    Bergamot 8 drops
    Coumarin 12 drops
    Rose 5 drops
    Jasmine 4 drops
    Patchouli 2 drops
    Vetiver 10 drops
    Rose Geranium 2 drops
    Isoamyl Salicylate 3 drops

Most of the essential oils can be gotten at most health shops. If anyone has trouble locating the Coumarin or Isoamyl Salicylate, let me know and I will provide you with the sources where they can be purchased

Of course, with the addition of alcohol, perfumer's grade, it makes a pretty decent fragrance all by itself. Have fun and let me know how you like it.

10. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

This is absolutely amazing:signs107

11. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

very, very nice!! Is anybody else hungry after reading this?
    Makes me want to grab a jar of coffee beans and sniff everything in sight?

12. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Let me know if any turns up - I'm going to need a 55-gallon drum of this stuff :happy001

No really - Thanks Gary, this was an excellent read. Awesome :happy088

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    My cat doesn't suffer any effects from catnip. :p

Rosemary however does drive her crazy. :rolleyes:

She's odd. :D

ps- great article Gary. Very valuable info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.