Personna blades...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sledge, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Red Pack Personnas

The red package is here. Personna
    These are different than the Crystals. The IP's have shown up as Crystal's and as Navarro's. The Red's are labeled Personna and may come out of the same factory since there is only one in that location. The Personna's that we know here by that name and as various drug store brands are made in the USA by ASRCO. I also believe that the Super + just picked up the tag IP's because of the factory in Israel being associated with ASRCO. All three are still available + the Red's.
    [vbpg]670[/vbpg]
    [vbpg]669[/vbpg]
    [vbpg]668[/vbpg]

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Thanks, Steve. That says it all right there :D

That being said, the "IP's"/"Crystals" never treated me well. Though I have never tried them as branded "Crystal". Have only used the "IP" which came out of the little cheapo cardboard mini-box.

Been a while since I used one, maybe its time to slice-n-dice :eek: Curiosity has its grips on me.

3. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I have had red packaged personnas and personally I think that they are really quite good. Then again most everything does real well on me.

4. Will

Will Nevermind

Don't do it, same blade, CONFIRMED BY YOURS TRUYLY!

5. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

The Israeli Super Platinum's were also referred to as the Israeli No Names. They are a pretty good blade. I use those, the NOS UK made Wilkinsons, the Merkur, Derby, Dorco, and German made Wilkinsons, and I've tried the Sputniks and a few other brands. I've also used the Wal-Mart Personnas (on a have to basis).

I tend to get great shaves from the NOS Wilkinsons and the Merkurs. And good to acceptable shaves from all but the Wal-Mart Personnas.

Blades are always a YMMV . What's sharp for me may be too dull for you and what is aggressive to me may not be for you. That's why most experienced shavers recommend the sample pack to new comers so they can find one or two that work for them and then they can buy in bulk.

Some of us also just like to experiment every now and then to try and discover something new.

Enjoy your shave...:D

6. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

And there's more Personnas in a blue label available from various Barber Supply Houses.
    [vbpg]767[/vbpg]

7. gagarin

gagarin New Member

I agree. The No-Name IP's are a good value, but the Red IP's give me even better results.

Chuck

8. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

I'm way overstocked on blades.

Have Red Personna's for 70c per 5 pk (shipped CONUS).

Min 10 pk order. PayPal only.

If anybody wants any, PM me.

9. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I don't touch the Personnas but the Crystals/Super+ blades are fantastic. They are so smooth. I just got 134 of them.

10. Will

Will Nevermind

I just realized I can get 100 of them for 11 Dollars or 50 off you for 7 dollars.

WTH I will buy off a Forum Member over an Ebayer any day (unless the Ebayer is a Forum Member too). ::

11. Will

Will Nevermind

HUMMMMM

White Label

Red Label

Blue Label

Anyone thinking what I am thinking. ::::

Need to find the Black Lable and Gold Label.

12. gagarin

gagarin New Member

I'd like to take you up on that, but I already stocked up. I got a bit carried away, and I think my supply will outlast me. ;)

Chuck

13. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

I see you have gotten plenty of responses on this one.

I bought 200 of these for $20 shipped, about a year ago and like them. I change them frequently though, about every other day and when traveling, every day.

This is a blade that I believe benefits from corking. I don't think they stay sharp for very long, corked or not. That's why I change them often. At 10 cents a blade how can you go wrong?

Lately I have been using them in my "finishing" razor and sometimes go 3-4 shaves. My finishing razor is only used for the ATG pass. I've been using two razors for a few months now, (one for WTG and XTG any blade, the other for ATG with red pack blade), and am very pleased with how it is working.

14. Sledge

Sledge New Member

hey hyperwarp, ill take you up on the offer as well if you want to sell about 100 of em... maybe even more... lol just wait till i get my next check, which should be next friday :) ill buy a nice set from ya... im tired of the garbage shaves im getting from my variety pack since i ran out :( lol

15. Sledge

Sledge New Member

and to old saw, corking? i thought that was something people do to blades that are TOO sharp? lol like feathers... these? no... i couldnt see corking them... ive gotten as many as 4 or 5 shaves out of a single blade. for me, they are just mild enough to make for a great shave without any irritation, and just sharp enough to clear my face of any stubble... the funny part of all this, is that i discovered them on accident... i figured they were junk, so i threw them in my futur razor to shave my head, and the shave was pretty smooth... so after a week or so i figured lets see if the same fits for my face... and i tried it, and now love it :) i was thinking i would end up with derbys, or merkurs, or swedish gillettes or something... something not as sharp as feathers, but capable of doing the job... but, these are much better in my opinion :)

16. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

I'm don't buy the notion that corking is for blades that are too sharp. I believe it simply smooths the blade like a strop as it actually pinches the blade as it is run through the edge of the cork or foam.

Today I was using a blade that I did not cork. I got a few little weepers, not nicks. I grabbed a fresh blade and went once in each direction through a piece of foam, reloaded and finished without any more trouble.

17. Sledge

Sledge New Member

i remember i corked a feather once, it never did anyting for me... almost seemed worse. but, i could probably have been doing it wrong.

18. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Chuck!

19. gagarin

gagarin New Member

Thanks, JoAnna. Happy to be here!

20. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Welcome Chuck! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!