Personna blue razor blade question

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Ceferguson, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg i have read many confusing and conflicting reports on us made personna blades. Can anyone tell me if these two blades are the same I understand the ones with arrows are called barbers and the others are personna lab blues. Are these blades the same with different stamping or completely different blades.

Douglas Carey, Robyflexx and JBSharp like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

This does get a little confusing. Those blades in the 5-pack I think are the same as the 100-pack and here's why.

They say Comfort Coated just like the 100 pack. Easy, Right?

Well a few years ago, a very similar looking 5-pack used to say Comfort Coated and Platinum Chrome on it. Those, as far as I can tell are the ones that were called Barbers and not many people thought very highly of them. It seems Personna has given up on the Platinum Chrome coating on their US made blades although you can still find it on the Israeli made ones.

JBSharp likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Just buy them by the 100's. They are excellent blades.

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. Ceferguson

I actually get along very well with the "barbers" but I recently bought the 100 box and those blades had a different stamp on them, I used one in a muhle r41 and it tore my face up, granted I haven't used the r41 in a while I have shaved with it for 6 months and never had that problem. I have been using the barbers in futur, mergress and fatboy and I have no irritation. so I was just trying to find out if they are different, my hands for your reply

Robyflexx likes this.
  6. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Out of curiosity which blades did you find worked well for you in the R41 I have the head coming from Connaught and any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Ceferguson likes this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I have the Personna Blue and I like them very much. IMO, YMMV. :)

Ceferguson and Robyflexx like this.
  8. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I have a few of the "barber's blades" as well as a 100 pack of the "blues" and for my face there is a marked difference. The "barber's blades" really irritate my face and do not shave that close while the "blues" are far less irritating and produce an excellent shave. Everyone's experience is likely to be different I know but my experience seems to be more in line with the majority of comments I've read over the years. Since they cost about the same per blade why not go with the most preferred, the "Lab Blues".

9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Well, for one thing: they sell both as "lab blues" at Connaughtshaving.com. The arrows on the blade that shows on the 100 pc. package are the same arrows as on the 5 pc. blades.

I just got the same in the mail, but haven't tried them yet.

Ceferguson, JBSharp and Robyflexx like this.
  10. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I purchased some (comfort coated) under the belief they were Personna Lab's (or Blues). Very good blade for me.

11. Ceferguson

I prefer mild smooth blades the best ones for me usually are shark ss, lord ss, blue personna barbers, racer ss, however for the muhle r41 it seem to prefer sharper so I started with red personna Israeli it was ok but it was much better with voskhod, ladas, rapira Swedish stainless steel, rapira super stainless. next time I use it will put a polsilvers I just tried them and I think they will be perfect. My experience any blade that is not fairly sharp tugs very badly in the muhle r41. Hope this helps

Thanks I will look them up

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2016
    macaronus and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

That's awesome, all of those Russian blades are in my sampler. :thanks:

Ceferguson likes this.
  13. Ceferguson

I had the opposite experience the barbers worked really well for me, maybe I just used a bad lab blue we will see but the everyone's face is different is really true since I've been testing different blades but I noticed people who liked the same blades as me tend to stay away from the same blades also so I guess there are some trends.

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. Ceferguson

The Sputnik also, I think it was one of the better ones, my fave gets irritated easy and my beard is sparse and not coarse so I can get by with less sharp blades and prefer smooth to sharp.

Robyflexx likes this.