Personna hair shaper blades, dovo shavette?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Leclec13, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

I have a blade holder for dovo Shavette. That takes personna hair shaper blades
    I haven’t tried them yet
    Anyone try these, is it worth pursuing?

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yes.

Edit: make sure you get the hair shaper blades. Persona also sells 'mini hair shaper' blades, which are just injector blades.

kjbarth and Leclec13 like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I figured more people would comment and I was in a hurry earlier.

Those (Hair Shaper) blades used to be made by several different companies, Weck being the most well known, as well as the inventer of that blade (as far as I know). Persona blades will work in any Weck style razor. Later copies even have ejector slide buttons to assist in loading new blades. Note* Wecks don't come with those.

This style of blade is used in barbershops all over America, and presumably the world. They are a key element in getting a "razorcut" haircut. Also used for edging the beardline and shaving the neck. They were also used in Weck sextoblade medical prep razors during the Korean and Vietnam War. (If you can find one, they make excellent shavers).

As for the blade itself. It is quite rigid, due to it's length and heavy spine. It shaves mostly like a wedge or 1/4 hollow ground straight razor. It is not as sharp as the Feather Artist Club blades, but many people prefer the Persona hair shaper blades for their smoothness. Persona blades are the closest thing to a real straight razor shave you can get with a shavette style razor.

Now, the downside. These blades work great in every razor that was designed for them. The Dovo Shavette is probably the worst razor to use it in. It's not bad, but it is on the bottom of the list. The combination of blade flex in the green insert, combined with green insert flex in the Dovo Shavette, and it leads to problems. You want the blade to be held absolutely rigid; no movement at all. That being said, it still is the best blade to use in the Dovo.

I'm not a fan of the way it holds DE blades either. Arbarnes on Reddit already summed up my opinon on those:

"...But with half-DE blades in the clear holder, IMO it's unsuitable for full-face shaving. The blade is too short and too thin, so the exposed square corners nick mercilessly and the blade flexes too much, leading to excessive chatter. Yeah, you may be able to make it work; some people do. But just because it's possible to drive a nail with a crescent wrench doesn't mean it's a good hammer."

I say try it out, if you like it, look for another razor that takes them. If you have a Sally's Beauty Supply nearby they usually carry the Diana Hair Shaper razors, which are basically Weck clones. If you want something higher quality, they are out there. Vintage Weck Sextoblades are also an option, and they are inexpensive, provided you are not picky about handle colors or the lack of a blade guard (which 99% of wet shavers usually end up not using after the first shave). They all came with one, but it's one of those things that usually gets taken off and never put back on. If you want one in a fancy box from the turn of the century, you'll have to pay much more, ditto for the military (metal scale) Wecks, though those can still be found for about $25 or less. The Weck Bantam is a smaller razor, but takes the same size blade.

Edit: Before all the hate mail starts pouring in, I'd like to address my comment: "Persona blades are the closest thing to a real straight razor shave you can get with a shavette style razor." But what about Feather AC blades?!!! Feather blades are sharp. Usually much sharper than real straight razors. This makes them a poor choice for comparison. Persona to straight razor is more of an apple to apple comparison, and Feather is more of an orange to apple comparison.

If you've ever wondered why everything that has a handle, calls it's handle a "handle," except straight razors.

The handle of a straight razor is commonly referred to as the "scale" In Germany the word "Handle" is "Schale" pronounced skale. We get the word scale for a straight razor handle because the word for handle in german sounded like scale.

Now you know.

Can you imagine that conversation?
    Salesman: "Oi, what's this then?"
    Company owner: "Schale."
    Salesman: "So you see, my dear, the handle part is called 'scales.'"
    Customer: [gets home] "'ello Luv, bought you a new razor."
    Customer's husband: "wot's this handle part called?
    Customer: "Salesman called them scales."

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019