Personna med prep blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Staetz, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Staetz

Staetz New Member

What does everyone think of these personna med prep blades? I know it's a popular brand in the medical field and I've seen nurses shave pts (in necessary but unmentionable) areas for surgery prep and stuff like that. Apparently they work wonders? I'm trying them tomorrow in a merkur futur to try to get a closer shave. Expensive little beasts but if they work I'll keep em!

2. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

A lot of people say they are identical to the (much cheaper) Personna Labs except for the sterilization process. I use the Labs and they are by far the best blade I've ever used. I have a very tough beard and every other DE blade tugs. The labs cut the hair cleanly off.

Just curious, what razor do the nurses use?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I received a few Personna Labs in a PIF about a week ago. I really like them! They give me the exact same results as the Astra SP's I use. YMMV.

4. Staetz

Staetz New Member

Hmm I'm excited about what you say because I have bared wire for a beard and hopefully they work well for me.

They use all kinda of razors. Bu here in my county we have a couple really nice hospitals and the nicer ones usually use throw away personna de razors. I've seen them dry shave a completely hairy chest where the defib paddles go and she did it dry and without any prep at all and it got the hair off cleanly without ANY nicks or cuts!!! Excited to try em!

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

:angry021:Ouch..

BigMark, Ryan B and fram773 like this.
  6. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Well I guess there wasn't much time for a preshave prep if the person was about to get hit with defib paddles, if you know what I mean. Give those Personna's a try, you'll probably like them. Let us know how they work out.

Bobcat and Staetz like this.
  7. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Ditto. For me the Astras tugged.

BigT likes this.
  8. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

The Med. Preps. are my favorite blade with the Iridium in 2nd. I'd be shocked if they don't give you your best shave ever in that Futur.

Almost forgot the best thing about the PMP blade: NO Wax on the blade!!

Bobcat and BigT like this.
  9. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I have some Med Preps on the way. Them and Personna Labs are my favorite blade. If you want, I could send you a few to try when they arrive.

10. Staetz

Staetz New Member

Ryan thanks! I greatly appreciate that but I got free one day shipping on amazon and just forked over the dough for a 100 pack. If I don't use them I'll just give them to my lady friend. She uses a de on her legs and doesn't care about which blades to use. I'll for sure let ya know what I think tho! Cyanide I'm glad you tipped me over the fence on the futur!

Rob626, CyanideMetal and Ryan B like this.
  11. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Edit: I see you already ordered some. Keep us posted on how they do for you in your razor(s).

I just got 100 Med Preps. They are one of my top 4 blades. I personally could tell a difference between the Blue Labs and the Med Preps. Many folks do not. I was hoping the Labs would do as well because they cost half as much. For me they didn't. FYI-You can get 100 Med Preps for $25 from Robbins Instruments. Before you get any quantity of either, I would get samples of each and make your own decision as to which one works best for you.

I just finished another 5 shaves with a Med Prep this morning. The 5th was as close and smooth as the first.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Staetz

Staetz New Member

Gentlemen. After several painstakingly terrible shaves. After having stubble on my face right after shaving. I have finally achieved my perfect, 10/10 BBS shave with NO irritation at all! After I got home this morning from work I noticed my two packages sitting in my mailbox. My merkur futur and my personna med prep blades. I was absolutely in a state of excited delerium to try this set up. I did however take a nap as we weren't able to sleep last night. Woke up and showered and tried my set up and just finished. I cannot wait to shave again. It's completely smooth without any stubble anywhere! And I can't feel any irritation at all. I've found the holy grail guys. Thanks for all your input and assistance an advice.

Tjebbe, Ryan B, Bobcat and 1 other person like this.
  13. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

14. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I just finished my 7th shave with a Personna Med Prep. I was trying to finalize “The Blade” for my Gillette NEW Short Comb. I think I have found the right match. All 7 shaves were close, smooth, and nick free. These have been some of my best shaves with any razor or blade. YMMV

……..and yes, I am one of those that did, and continues to notice a difference between the Personna Med Preps and Personna Lab Blues, with the Med Prep being better and more consistent for me personally.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    Tdmsu and ObiDon like this.
  15. KingChoss

KingChoss Member

So the left is Lab Blues and the right are Med Preps correct?

upload_2014-6-23_9-6-47.png upload_2014-6-23_9-7-18.png

ObiDon and Bobcat like this.
  16. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Correct

17. KingChoss

KingChoss Member

Cool, I've had some confusion on that.

18. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I've recently been able to try Lab and they are amazing. Probably my new favorite blade. When I run out of my current stock of blades (haha right!) I think I'll order 100.

19. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

These have been my go to blade for awhile. They are a perfect match for my Schick Krona.

maltedmilk and Tdmsu like this.
  20. KingChoss

KingChoss Member

The Labs are on Amazon Prime for like $13 for 100 and i was thinking about getting them...just haven't pulled the trigger yet.