Personna Med Prep Problems!!!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by 2grubswrestle1, Feb 6, 2015.

1. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

Let me first say that I love Personna Med Prep blades and they work phenomenal for me!!! I had bought and used 30 of these blades from different shaving vendors and decided to go ahead and buy a package of 100.

So I searched ebay & found a box of 100 for a decent price, the vendor had about 2400 sales and had no negative comments on his history so I thought he should be safe. I went in today and messaged him and he has offered to refund my money after I send him the blades.

I had no problems......got them in a timely manner. I having been using Personna Med Prep Blades exclusively for the last year. So I loaded up the trusty 2013 R41 and right away noticed a problem ....a couple of nicks & some weepers. As I stated I can usually use a blade for about 7 shaves and it is still great....but after the second shave this blade was done. So I used 3 blades out of the 100 and had the same problem with all of them. I then pulled out one that I already had and used it......Heaven from the start to finish and again lasted 7 shaves.

I compared blades and blade wrappers......the blades looked about the same except the writing looked smudged in a couple of places on the new ones. Now the big difference was in the wrappers....the one I already had was kind of a waxy paper and the new ones were not...... regular paper & thicker than the other one.

Has anyone heard of a scam on Fake Personna Med Prep blades.......it would be a lot of work to fake them but hey you could probably do it.

2. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

sounds like you got barber blades and not med prep.

2grubswrestle1 likes this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I've actually just had a similar experience. I ordered this box of 100 from Personna: http://amzn.to/1D5JNND

When I got them, the blades were just wrapped in plain white paper, not the regular blue wrappers I'd always seen. My first blade out of it gave me the worst shave ever. I tossed it. The second blade I took out of it was just like the Personna I expected. I chalked it up to dry skin and a bad blade. I think in my case at least the blades are fine.

It's really pointless to fake a type of blade, especially one that's fairly inexpensive. You'd do better to just launch it as your own brand.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    zweird.png
    I ordered the same thing back in October. No problems for me. Looks like the price has dropped $2. My blades are wrapped in the blue Personna paper.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    BigMark likes this.
  5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

The Personna Surgical Prep Products web page shows their single-edge and double-edge blades, along with the corresponding razors. If you click on one of the blade selections, you will find the item number:

Personna - Double Edge Prep Blade 100 Pack
    Item # 74-0002-0000

Personna - Double Edge Prep Blade 250 Pack
    Item # 74-0010-0000

Just Google on the part number of your choice to get links to sellers with the genuine article. Be aware that it is possible that Personna changed the med prep blades.

6. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I have some new "Labs" and they are wrapped in the same fashion. I have not found them to be rough but very smooth and sharp.

R.D.Nelson likes this.
  7. Mr. Shaverman

By 'same fashion' do you mean wrapped just in white paper? That's how all of mine are and I think the rest are a-okay, it was just the first one out of the box that was bad for some reason.

8. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

yes , wrapped in white paper

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  9. Mr. Shaverman

Cool. I was just surprised when I got mine that way.

10. Razor3dp

Razor3dp New Member

I, also, am a Lab Blue guy. Never had an issue with them.

11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

could storage have something to do with quality?

12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Since your a Personna user you may want to try the Vikings Sword and Q-ball blades. They are out of the Personna plant in Israel and so not made in America, but I've found the VS's to be very good blades. :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    R.D.Nelson likes this.
  13. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

The Personna Med Preps are my sharpest blades.

14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

It might help identify the two blade types if pictures were posted. That won't do any good for folks who already purchased the "new" blades, but might help people who read this thread prior to buying Personna Prep blades in the future.

15. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

Are the Meds really that much sharper?

16. jr2

jr2 Active Member

How would you say they stack up to Feathers?