Personna Micrometic Adjustable Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hanspleasure, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

Manufactured in Britian and by far the HEAVIEST razor I own.. feels twice as heavy as the Fatboy. The handle is completely made from bakelite (as well as the case) and the rest of the razor is plated in gold.
    What's really sweet is this adjustable razor (unlike the Gibbs) excepts any standard DE blade.. !! So if you're a fan of adjustable razor or want to try something other than the mass produced Fatboy.. this is a must.
    Also, I don't think many of these were produced so grab one when you see it.
    And that's all the information I have.. so if anyone has some info to contribute I'd much appreciate it!
    Oh yea... I paid someone in the neighborhood of $8 for it :cool:

Attached Files:

2. omegapd

omegapd New Member

pretty sharp!

3. mmack66

mmack66 Member

That's a good looking razor. Is it TTO?

4. Quest

Quest New Member

Thats nice good find

5. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

No it's not. It's a two-piece razor. I believe the ad say 1953 so it might be the first adjustable razor on the market that wasn't TTO.

6. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

First time I've seen one. That is definitely a great looking razor. How is the shave?

7. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

Congrats on an outstanding find!

8. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

very nice find :):):)

i could be wrong, but i think the GIBBS adjustable razor (france) was the first.

9. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

I've only shaved with it once and I remember it being a very close shave!
    Gibbs may in fact be the first adjustable... you're probably right, but they do look very similar in design. I really love they incorporate the bakelite handle into the design as well as the case.. no cheap plastic for this razor.

10. Congratulations,

That's a great looking razor, and the box is another bonus. Very nice find!
    Martin

Oh.....that seller didn't have an old 195 laying around did he? A case would be nice, but not a deal breaker. I've been meaning to try one of those, but haven't gotten around to it yet for some reason...

Heh, maybe this will even bring a response from 'Mister Razor' (no, that's not you cheeky monkey).

11. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Very cool razor! I am surprised it is so heavy, it looks like a lot of plastic.

12. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Wow Scott. That is a very interesting razor and a heck of a deal! I love Bakelite, thanks for sharing.

13. riffin

riffin Active Member

Scott Scott Scott!

I have one of those (and two Gibbs adjustables). Unfortunately the center post is separating from the cap. It's now unusable and I *think* irreparable. If I could find another, I be a bit more bold about trying to repair it or getting it repaired.

This is my absolute favorite razor. The best I ever used. After I noticed the fracture on mine I switched over to the Merkur Progress. It pretty good but it's not a Precision.

The Gibbs are nearly identical. The platform has a tab on each side that require a notch in the blade to fit. One can cut a regular Gillette blade to fit. My attempt to do that wasn't fine enough and there was a bit of play. One can also cut the side tabs off the Gillette blades, but then you have to be very careful to align the blade properly as it can easily rotate until its tightened down. I plan take another stab at cutting some blades to fit in the Gibbs.

Another difference is the tread on the cap is different. Otherwise I'd just use the Gibbs cap on the Precision.

The first Gibbs I got is very heavy just like the Precision. It's nickel plated. The other is gold colored (maybe brass) and much lighter. It's made out of a lighter alloy, but I'm not sure what.

Way to go man! If you can give me any tips or leads for getting one, I'd REALLY appreciate it. I watch the bay just about every day. I ads and blades, but no razors.

14. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

Hey TJgriffin,

Thanks for replying. Yea.. I really do like the look of the razor and enjoyed the only time I used for shaving. I'd love to find one that is very used so I wouldn't feel so bad shaving with this one.. don't want to tarnish the gold plating.. I will keep an eye out for you and if I see one, will pass it along your way. These guys are extremely difficult to come by.. and I've only seen a few pop up in a year's time.

15. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Scott was nice enough to point one out on a foreign ebay site for me. Unfortunately the seller insisted on his "local pickup only" policy.

16. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Sweet score. Never seen one of those before.

17. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

Oh yea.. I forgot about that one! How long ago was that.. 6 months maybe?

18. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Just searched, looks like it was in August. I have been looking for another one since. Pretty cool piece.

19. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

now I know what to get your for next Christmas!

20. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

:happy102