Personna Precision Plastic Handle/Shaft

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by thomthom49, Jan 29, 2011.

1. thomthom49

thomthom49 New Member

I have recently purchased a used Personna Precision. Not the one pictured but a nickel plated one. All the metal on it is in really good condition but the plastic handle/shaft is in poor condition with at least one crack. Does not affect it's proper use but I would like to find a replacement. I'll consider having one machined from stainless if I can't find a replacement and then it will be a totally unique tool. But I would rather it be original. So...... anybody got one?

Thom
    personna_c.jpg

2. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

Looks very simular to my Gibbs (French)

Except I assume you can still get brades for a Personna Precision (stupid French):D

3. thomthom49

thomthom49 New Member

Yeah, it uses modern blades.
    Thom

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

The Personna Precision looks similar to the French made Gibbs adjustable which uses proprietary DE blades, but it uses regular DE blades.

If you can't get a handle made, you could try and get ahold of a Gibbs adjustable and see if the handle from it, will work on the Personna Precision. The Gibbs adjustable does pop up from time to time on the French eBay at http://www.ebay.fr/ and the UK eBay at http://www.ebay.co.uk/ .

For reference, the Gibbs adjustable... notice the cutout on each end of the head cap which allows the 2 points coming up from each end of the blade bed to insert. Because of this, the blades have a knotch on each end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. thomthom49

thomthom49 New Member

Hi Jody,
    Well, either the English ripped off the French patent or the French ripped off the English patent because except for a small difference on the bar and of course the tabs on the ends for the blade placement they are identical razors. The English are probably the culprits here because they have always felt above the rules of the game. After all they believe they invented they game you see. Anyway, thanks for the input. I'm certain from the photos you have shone me, if I found a Gibbs the handle would work. What a shame you can't shave with yours. I had a shave with mine this morning using a vintage 7 oclock blade and the shave was utterly fantastic on the N setting. No nicks, no weeps, no burns just perfection. Smoothest chin I've had for weeks. So whoever designed it , the Frogs or the Limeys... (references used with all due respect for both peoples) they did a damn good job of it. I've had a word with Rudy Vey and although he can't match what is on it he can make me a new handle. Not sure yet which way I want to go. Liklihood of another Personna is slim, Gibbs only slightly more common, new turned handle not original. It will always be a made up machine so for value it probably does not matter which way I go. I thought of having Rudy make something different and unusual for it. Any thoughts on my thoughts.
    Thom
    IMG00062-20110130-1717.jpg

IMG00063-20110130-1718.jpg

IMG00064-20110130-1719.jpg

6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

There's also the possibility that Personna contracted Gibbs to make their Precision for them. Some of the bigger companies in Europe did this for other brands. Wardonia made razors for other brands as did Myatt.

Be sure to followup and show us your new handle. Rudy does excellent work.

7. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I've been thinking about getting Rudy to make a new handle for my EJ DE87. I love the imitation ivory, but I want imitation ivory with grip.

8. thomthom49

thomthom49 New Member

I'll show mine when it's finished. We plan to put some grip on it, just not sure of the design yet. Ivory sounds good but I'm more inclined to colors and pattern. We'll see.:cool:

9. riffin

riffin Active Member

The knob in the Persona has a retention ring near the bottom end. The Gibbs does not. If you use a Gibbs handle, you'll have to leave the retention ring off.

Also the thread pitch is different. I don't recall if there are threads cut in the plastic or if they are cut into a metal bushing fitted into the end of the handle. And I don't recall if the inside diameter of the plastic is different. I'll take a look tonight.

I tried to replace the cap on my Persona with the a Gibbs since screw started separating from the cap, but the thread didn't match the Persona knob.

And yes, the Persona WILL work with modern blades -- the Gibbs will not, unless either the blade or the razor is modified.

From my experience, notching a blade to fit in a Gibbs is possible, but difficult. If its not done exactly right, it leaves wiggle room making it near ikmpossible to align the blade correctly.

Way back, I saw a Gibbs on eBay from Argentina that was mod-ed to take modern blades. The sides were trimmed off the cap and two round posts were added. The work appeared to be done pretty well, but I'd never even consider hacking up my Gibbs like that.

I do wish my Persona was repairable. If I could get the cap fixed, I'd get a nice handle turned.

I look forward to seeing your results.

- Tere

10. riffin

riffin Active Member

I found some pictures of the mod-ed Gibbs. I DL-ed them from the eBay poasting. I put them in a gallery. Click here or go to the Gallery list a look for "Mod-ed Gibbs" in the Recently Modified Galleries list.

- Tere