Personna Quality ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMark, Apr 6, 2015.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Has anyone else here had bad luck with the newest batch of "Labs". @Ryan B said they suck for him as well. The ones that come in the white wrapper.

2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have not been impressed with any of the Personna Blades I have used. But some of the Generic DE/SS Razor Blades that I have picked up over the years, have all was given a good quality shave, and I was told that they were the Personna Blades, but the containers are not marked as if they were made by them.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Man I hope they haven't gone down the tubes. I don't think I have any of the newer white wrapper blades to try and see. Still using a pack I bought a couple years ago right now.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  4. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I'm about a third of the way through a 100 pack of the lab blues in white wrappers, haven't had a bad blade yet. I buy from a reputable dealer, West Coast Shaving, not Amazon.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have a couple three hundred in the blue wrapper, haven't noticed a thing. ;)

PatrickA51 likes this.
  6. BigMark

Mine are in a white wrapper.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I thought the white wrapped were the "beauty" blades and not the labs.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

BigMark likes this.
  9. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Haven't been impressed with lab blues but some people love them. So go figure

10. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

The white wrapper blades have been around a long time. They aren't new. I remember seeing them when I first started wet shaving three years ago. The blue ones are the ones you want.

11. BigMark

I was under the impression they were the same blade. The blades look identical.

12. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

13. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I ordered a 100 pack of Personna's after being told that they were the Blue Labs that I like. I got the white wrappers too. Not a fan. I've used about 5 and 2 of them went straight to the trash. 3 were okay but not the same as the Blue Labs, IMHO. I don't know what they are and I don't know how to find the Personna Blue Labs, because these white wrappers ones aren't them. If anyone can give me a link to Personna Blue Labs that come wrapped in BLUE wrappers, that would be awesome.

14. BigMark

Methinks an email to ASR is in order.

15. Ryan B

https://www.razorbladesandmore.com/content/100-lab-blue-personna-double-edge-blades

16. Ryan B

Yep, those are the ones you want.

17. Ryan B

If you guys are having trouble finding Personna Labs, look at Razor blades and more, Bullgoose, West Coast Shaving, Mens Room, and Amazon. eBay has some too, but I would be leery buying from eBay when there are so many trustworthy vendors supplying these blades.

18. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

The problem isn't finding the blades, it's getting the blades I believe I'm buying. The link you posted (thanks, btw) pictures the exact same box that the white wrapper blades came in.

19. Ryan B

Ok now it's saying that the blades come in a white wrapper. There are some blades out there made by Personna that are called "Barber Blades." Those also come in a white wrapper. All my Personna blades have a blue wrapper. Both the Labs and Med Preps. I guess check around at vendors to see if they have the old blades wrapped in blue paper.

20. jonmich

jonmich Member

Connaught shaving have three different types of Personna blades.
    Israeli Reds, Lab Blues and Medical Preps.
    The Medical Preps are the most expensive and come in a blue wrapper.
    I do not know what most Americans know by Lab Blues, but could there be some confusion between Lab Blues and Medical Preps?
    A Limey myself, I do not know the origin of Lab Blues, but would suspect the Medical Preps in the Blue wrapper are superior blades.

Bristle Me and Douglas Carey like this.