Phone/Text Spam out of control

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Redfisher, May 14, 2018.

1. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Lately I've been getting a bunch of spam calls and texts on my cell phone. Not one or two a day mind but 10+. the IRS scam is number 1 last couple of days, you know "taken into custody by the local cops" "4 serious charges against your name" blah blah blah. Then there's the treasury department grant one. And texts, too many too count from 'you have unclaimed funds; to "free gift card to "local woman wanting sex". I have more blocked numbers than contacts. This is like a disease I can't stop. Thinking about changing my number which is a complete pain in the ass. I have a blocker app on my phone but it only stops the known numbers and these guys change numbers minute by minute. The do not call registry seems to be useless. So anyway is anyone else here having this problem and if so what are you doing to combat it? While I was typing this two more calls came in but were blocked. I'm pissed off!

2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I get that same nonsense all day long. It’s quieted down recently, but I still get one or two a day. If I don’t recognize the number, I don’t answer the call. If it’s important, they’ll leave a voice mail.

Between the spam phone calls and emails, I don’t know which is worse.

I’m sure our telecom companies could do something to limit the spam calls.

Redfisher likes this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Perhaps you are being a bit hasty. I mean... going by your avatar, the "local women wanting sex" might be real. :D

I use "hiya" (android) to block on my phone... and 2 or 3 get through a week b/c the scammers are using numbers not already blacklisted. But, hiya's blacklist is pretty good. My own block-/black-list isn't quite as large as my contact list, but it's close.

Keithmax, wristwatchb, RyX and 2 others like this.
  4. Redfisher

Both because I have to stop and look to see who's calling. I have a few things going on because I am in the process of selling my house and moving so certain calls are very important.

I have HIYA on my phone and it helps but like I said the numbers change minute by minute

They would love to because it eats into the availability of the network all these fake calls

Paul Turner and Jim99 like this.
  5. richgem

When I'm in the mood, I'll take the call and try to get to a real person and ask them if they are familiar with the Federal No Call List. They will often answer yes. Then I'll tell them that they are currently committing a federal crime by contacting me and that the call is being recorded and traced (which, of course, it isn't) and will be investigated by the FBI. That usually works for a time. Tho, I had one scammer (Indian, not that it matters) actually laugh at me and tell me that I was an ass if I thought anyone could do anything to stop him.

multiple blocking apps might be a good bet in your case. make sure the blacklists are all up to date too.

Keithmax, Yehuda D, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Been happening to me at times also. Even if you change your number, they'll still call. They use a randomizer for phone calls.

7. richgem

I've also noticed in my case, at least, that the phone prefix (the 1st 3 numbers after the area code, in other words) are all the same. if that's the case with you, you might just try blocking any number that begins with that prefix. Or, just block (or auto send to voice mail) any number that's not in your contact list.

Redfisher likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I configure my blocker to send all unknown calls to voicemail. Never have to listen to them as Hangouts gives me all VM transcriptions. Works for me. I'd block unknown SMS if it were a problem for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Keithmax likes this.
  9. Redfisher

Yeah and they don't even pretend to hide the foreign accent. Geez how many people fall for this crap I wonder.

richgem likes this.
  10. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I have DSL internet and still maintain a land line so I usually give businesses the land line number unless there’s something of urgency.

The ringer is off on the land line (we never answer it) and I have an answering machine that I glance at a couple times a week.

I’m not sure if that’s why I rarely get spam on my cell but I’m knocking on wood.

I also do online business on my laptop and not on a phone if that makes any difference.

You would think though that eventually a robo-dialer would catch me but I might only get phone spam every couple of months or so.

Maybe the “local women...” don’t find me interesting.

Keithmax, AGHisBBS and Redfisher like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Sorry. I've been forwarding all my spam to you. HA!
    Not really. Just kidding.

wristwatchb, RyX, John Beeman and 2 others like this.
  12. Redfisher

Now they spoof local area codes so you think it's legit

RyX likes this.
  13. richgem

I've noticed that.

Paul Turner and John Beeman like this.
  14. Redfisher

Revenge is a dish best served cold :D

15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

There is financial incentive to look the other way.

Jim99 and Redfisher like this.
  16. Redfisher

That was pretty much how it was going here until the last couple of weeks.

17. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

If I'm not too busy, I'll often take the call and try to string them out as long as possible to waste their time and hopefully encourage them to remove my number from the list. Not sure if it works, but it can be entertaining.

18. Redfisher

I called the one IRS number back four times and when the foreigner answered I stayed quiet each time while the DB on the other end was saying "hello hello". Called again and when the DB answered I said " your not with the IRS scumbag and he hung up

On the other hand I've been told that once you answer they know its a live number and focus in on it.

It is out of control though more so than I can remember ever and I actually worked in a call center in the 70's . We pulled our numbers from the phone book. I was selling lawn care. lasted about 3 mouths on that job. Anyway ..........

Keithmax, Paul Turner and richgem like this.
  19. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

You probably just jinxed me

Redfisher likes this.
  20. Redfisher

H hope not

John Beeman likes this.