(Photos below) Bismarck Straight Edge Identification HELP!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lycidas, Jan 27, 2011.

1. lycidas

lycidas Member

Seeking a little assistance in identifying... I'm new to the collection hobby so I haven't found the resources yet to solve this myself. I have an old SR I found from my grandparent's house. Can anyone help me identify the year? origin? any other information?

It has Dark (black or dirt?) scales with "BISMARCK registered" inlay on the side.
    The point is straight cut (not rounded)
    On the blade in fancy letters it says, "SWEDISH STEEL hollow ground"
    The trademark on the tang says, "WING Cutlery Co. Germany" and also, almost hidden by the scales it is stamped "208"

Any info would be great... or direction on where I should look. Is this thing 10 or 60 years old? :)

And I will put up a photo if I can figure out how.

cheers

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I know nothing...

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    There are a couple methods.

1) Attachment
    The little paperclip icon, click it
    In the window that pop-ups, click Browse
    Find the pic on your computer, click on it
    Then click Upload
    Then click the paperclip again
    Click the attachment name and it will show up in the post.

Goodness I hope that is clear. :o

4. Lynn

Lynn New Member

A picture would definitely make a world of difference. There were hundreds of shops in Solingen in the past and many razors made for hardware types of companies that distributed them.

I suspect that the razor you have has been re-handled. Most of the Bismarck Registered razors I have seen are round pointed and just under 5/8. The also have numbers stamped at the end of the tang (tail). These did come in Black and Ivory colored plastic scales.

Have fun,

Lynn

5. lycidas

lycidas Member

OK. I found the pics.

The number ("Serial"? Model?) stamped in is 208 right up near the hinge. Other information as to the writing is all in the above post.

One side...
    [​IMG]

And the other...
    [​IMG]

I have much better quality images if anyone thinks that may help them - I put it on the scanner to get this image and it came out VERY detailed, but huge.

The case that it is in says, "Christopher Johnson Co." and under that it says, "Shetfield England" (perhaps, the first word is all rubbed off). Who knows if it is the original case.

Can anyone help me?

6. lycidas

lycidas Member

I would have thought that someone would be able to give me a hint of where to look to date this... I don't need someone to do everything, just give me some advice on where to begin looking. :)

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Patience. If Google isn't giving you anything then you need to wait and let the experts have a chance to see the pics and post.

We have a few of the worlds best honemeisters who check this site (one of which has already posted above requesting pics) who have literally honed 10s of thousands of razors. I'm sure they will tell you what they know. You don't get thousands of razors honed by surfing the forums, just give them a bit of time and they'll see it and respond.

8. lycidas

lycidas Member

Fair enough... it's my OCD kicking in. Wait, sorry what's that? A shiny object. Must go obsess.

9. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

I don't claim to be an expert in the identification of vintage straight razors so I hesitate to throw my 2 cents in (every time I try to help someone I get some AH from the peanut gallery popping off at me) GRRRR! At any rate some things raised some red flags to me. One: The coffin (box) that it was in probably isn't the original box. It usually has the brand name the same as shown on the razor. (In this case, I don't see a Brand on the razor so, it may be the distributor company's name on the coffin.) It could be your G'Father had a coffin from another razor that he put this one in. (I have about 20-25 coffins all bundled up in my cabinet because I put my razors in a special segmented razor box with holds about 26 razors without their coffins.)
    Two: The scale shows a gouge around the pivot pin and the pivot pin looks kind of funky which looks like it has been re-pinned at some time or most likely, the scales have been re-placed as well with the Bismark scales. (I scavenge scales from junker razors and use them to rescale a better blade sometimes. (I usually don't mix brands though but if someone was only concerned with making his razor usable he might not be concerned about the Brand mismatch.
    Three: The number stamped on the shank is probably a model or production number rather than a serial number. The serial numbers are usually stamped on the tail (the small end of the shank) as Lynn stated. Model numbers are usually stamped on the shank (as in Hinckels 401)
    Four: I can't see but I don't see Bismark stamped on the shank of the blade. Looking at some reference lists I see that the Bismark razors were stamped Bismark on the shank. This one does not have that Brand name on it only Wing Cutlery Co. which is probably a company that bought razors from one of the German manufactures for selling them out of their own company. ( as in F. N Loeffler Co. from Rochester, New York bought German manufactured razors and sold them under their name. The Loeffler Co. was one of the biggest razor retailers in the U.S. around 1886 - 1905) Also, if the Bismark scales were original the Bismark should have been stamped on the shank as well. Nothing I see helps me to pin point a date for this razor other than the fact it has the country of manufacture (Germany) which would put it after 1890. If I were to give a WAG on it I'd say probably 1920's so it's probably about 80-90 years old.
    Please take everything I have said here in the spirit of trying to help. I'm sure one of the old pro's at vintage razor identification will chime in here soon and add some more light to your questions. Some of these vintage razors do not have a clear linkage to some reference point. Many are lost in antiquity and it's just nice to have them even though they are not "status Symbols".
    I have 33 vintage razors and none of them are much to "brag about" but I love them all. Good luck in your quest! ;)

10. lycidas

lycidas Member

Much thanks! I have been doing more research on Google as well and I will incorporate a few of your ideas. All this to find out the year and where it was made. :) Somehow finding out exactly makes it cooler and more important to my collection. I will keep searching...

11. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

I agree! I always research a new acquisition of mine to find out the date of manufacture for my own personal satisfaction and to know the time frame when it was used. Some of the razors that were generic for their time are really hard to nail down sometimes but it's fun to research and find out all about them even if it can't be perfectly documented. The generic distributors' razors were all made by German or Sheffield manufacturers and most of the time you can trace them back to a specific known factory. Here is a link of razor manufacturers that might be of some help. (You might have this already but here goes.) ;) http://www.archivingindustry.com/cutlers&toolmakers/razormakers.htm
    http://www.strazors.com/
    Good luck in your investigation. :)

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :confused: I sincerely hope you are referring to some other forum and their members, not ours. I don't know what you mean "AH" to mean, but the two possibilities that pop in my head are not nice.

Forums are for sharing information, insights, and opinions. Members enjoy having some fun, too. Some folks aren't as tactful as others, no doubt, but most folks here are not trying to be hateful.

13. stingraysrock

Ah! But how does she shave?

14. lycidas

lycidas Member

Good grief! Are you kidding??!? I have a way to go before that - including making it sharp. I am just getting happy with DE shaving.

15. stingraysrock

Heh! Straights are a whole other addiction Mang!

16. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca New Member

Potentially a nice razor. Swedish steel, if true ( and remember no laws about trade descriptions in those days) is always a good thing. Some wear on the shoulder of the spine, and a few pits on the bevel, but all salvageable with a coarse hone. What does it say on the scale under 'Bismarck'? - I can't make it out. The flat sided scales tell me it is early 20th C rather than mid-century.

Chris

17. lycidas

lycidas Member

I believe it says "REGISTERED" under the Bismarck. A few letters are obscured so it's a little hard to read.

18. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I think Bruce's evaluation is pretty much dead on...
    I too think you have a mongrel there,,,

The Blade looks good to go though, the un-even wear from side to side concerns me just a touch, but it should be easily corrected on the hones... A light cleaning if you want to keep the patina on there, or a full blown Vintage Restore will shine her back up, the choice is always in your hands and ultimately up to the razor LOL...
    I see one spot of corrosion on the edge that has to come off there but that also should be no problem...

I hope that answers all your questions...;) I put them all here instead of in an e-mail...

19. lycidas

lycidas Member

Yep - thanks everyone. If I make the plunge to restore it, I'll post it up.