Pick my first Merkur Progress Settings

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gwsmallwood, Jun 15, 2015.

1. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

My new Progress should arrive in the next couple of days. I know the blade gaps are fairly similar to the Fatboy, but from what I've heard, for some reason it can feel much more aggressive.

For reference, my go to razors are a Fatboy and an R41. The Fatboy has custom blade gaps that I use set to what would be an 11. The R41 is a 2013 model, but I used it with a Spitfire cap for the first time today, which effectively turns it into a 2011. I have also used as many as 5 shims in both my DE89 and my NEW LC, and I regularly use 3 in my 37c.

With that information in mind, what setting should I start with on the new Progress?

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I guess you should go wide open. Then, you can think about shimming it.

3. Bondage007

Bondage007 Active Member

Hmmmmm.....deja vu . Still think three is good.

Cheers
    John

4. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Based on your adjustments on your other razors, I vote for wide open with a Feather blade. Go for it!:bounce015::happy036:

5. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Just remember on your first pass dial it down like on #2 then open it up for a closer shave. I have know why merker shaves like that...but hay it works.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I can tell you what I do. then you can modify from there.
    Gillette adjustable and fatboy and slim are always set to 7.
    the progress was set to four I've loved the shaves so I saw no reason to change.

7. hrfdez

hrfdez Active Member

Congratulations on your new acquisition. I have a Mergress XL, and love it. I don't use it much, so I always forget the setting that works the best for me, lol....

Joke aside, I mostly use mine on 3 and it does the job.

Enjoy it!

8. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Member

I have a Digress and run it on 2.

9. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I do 3 WTG and 2 ATG. That WTG pass leaves me with a pretty decent shave and I can go right to ATG after that. I could probably quit after the first pass if I wanted to just be presentable.

10. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I have a dozen DEs and this is by far my favorite.
    I agree, start with #3 and it will give you a good idea of where to go from there. I seldom go below 3 or above #7.

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    My advice for all adjustable razors is to start will the lowest setting and adjust from there.

My inner child is screaming at you to open it up as far as it will go.

P.S. My inner child likes the sight of blood and tears.

ObiDon and Jayaruh like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Today, I am eager to find out what you decided to do.

13. gwsmallwood

It will have to wait a couple more days. Missed delivery and they probably won't retry until tomorrow. I think I'll start at 3 and go from there. I'm sure I'll have to crank it up all the way before too long though.

Jayaruh likes this.
  14. gwsmallwood