Picked up a $5.00 Fat boy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by pizzaguy, Mar 23, 2008.

1. pizzaguy

pizzaguy Member

I checked out an antique store that I pass all the time .

R.A.D set in and I stopped they had a basket of old Razors there was the Fat boy It is not perfect The side hinge has little play but i think I can fix it

I boiled it and maas polished it looks alright a lot of brassing but my first antique buy it should work ??:D also they had other razors three piece type I think they were star brand I never heard of them . I just thought I would share:happy036

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Cool!

Pics. please!

3. Proraso Man

Proraso Man New Member

no real reason to boil them- its real hard on the finish. trust me i am a gillette collector. just use a little bit of toothpaste, and old tuthbrush, and alot of elbow grease and you'll have a stunning looking razor. maas is the last step to add a bit of extra shine- it can/should not take the place of elbow grease. just my 2 cents- congrats on your score.

4. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

disagree on this one, a Razor is a hygiene product you dont know where its been when you buy it used. you must somehowe disinfect it first I cant stress this too much , you might have been lucky all this time if you dont boil yours . i.e use an ultrasonic cleaner. some bacteria dont get killed with 100 degree water so boiling is still useless.

for more info check out

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399&highlight=cleaning+razors

5. wow. time to go buy a lottery ticket to see if your luck continues!

6. I am one of these guys who never boiled. Lucky? I think the amount of hot water and soap these things see takes care of problems. so far so good.

7. magic

magic New Member

Thanks for the toothpaste trick. I recently bought a Gold Tech & will have to try that.

8. pizzaguy

pizzaguy Member

It would not take my picture?

9. pizzaguy

pizzaguy Member

Thanks all

I did the scrubbing bubbles and the toothpaste plus boil and then maas polish
    then bubbles again then rinsed and sprayed it with clippercide :D

10. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

No. they never figured out a good way to put a lens and 35mm film in a Fatboy :D

11. pizzaguy

pizzaguy Member

ha ha

I could not up load my pic::lam

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You might need to resize it.

I usually resize my pictures in Paint, then upload them to the Gallery.

13. pizzaguy

pizzaguy Member

Thanks

Will try Thanks