Picked up a new life - oh, and a birth year razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Old School, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Hey there folks, been a LONG time, for good reason. Here's my life update I wanted to share with TSD world. If you want to skip it, go to the next paragraph, but I'll say it's exciting stuff! After 15 years of marriage it's over. The quick synopsis is this...I caught her in an affair in September of 2014, had her at a mediator within 3 days, got my divorce decree in February 2015 and remarried (yes remarried) in September of 2015. It's been wild to say the least! Regarding the marriage to the ex, she was a bored stay at home mom that was simply miserable no matter what I did. She felt I never earned enough, but wouldn't get a job and work either. She wanted anything, however, and she got it. I did everything to try to make her happy and my only regret is I spent so much time doing good things for a bad person. As a recovering catholic (LOL) I felt condemned to a life of misery with her as you don't leave, you try to make it work. She refused counselling, insisting it's normal for folks married so long to grow apart and no longer enjoy intimacy other than the rare drunken occasion. After 13 years it was becoming obvious she was getting it somewhere else. The gym everyday, new wardrobe, hair and makeup all the time, no longer wanted me to run errands with her...it was adding up pretty quick. I called her out on it multiple times. She'd only complain she was tired of the accusations and was going to leave ME if I didn't stop questioning her. Well, I stopped accusing and entered super sleuth mode, catching her in lie after lie, stacking it up and finally getting the confession only after finding her email to "sexy" that her husband was out of town asking if he could come over. She was banging my sons soccer coach. How cliche'...Go figure, the affair started pretty much exactly when I thought it did, 2 years ago. Now to my new wife...we were best friends 20 years ago in college and I was too stupid to realize what was in front of me. We reconnected during my divorce and I learned her husband left due to what we'll simply call an "identity crisis". Long story short it was like not a minute passed in 20 years. Up all night talking, seeing eachother as often as possible, so many common interests still common and new ones to boot...I proposed. I was shocked I could feel this way, having never felt this way before. I was convinced I'd never trust another woman and have a serious relationship, but there I was and here I am. Blessed, truly blessed. There's a saying "when you know, you know". I always thought "whatever" regarding that saying, but you know what?...When you know you know!

Sooo razors, yes, razors...I missed you guys and am glad to be back. I just celebrated my 41st after xmas so I was thinking birth year razor. I had put the hobby on the shelf as far as aquisitions go throughout 2015 (for obvious reasons it was wasn't on my mind). Prior I'd always hit ebay looking for a 1974 (U4) birth razor to no avail. Just recently I hit the bay again and voila, this little beauty which I believe is a simple FT Super Speed in stellar condition ending in 4 minutes with no bids. I bid $20 (small price for happiness) and it's mine. BTW, that's my new ecig as well...highly recommend. Waddya think?

Attached Files:

PLANofMAN, AGHisBBS, Boojum1 and 7 others like this.
  2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Welcome back.....Man....you have been taking care of business....I hope everything works out great for you. You deserve it!

Man that birth year razor looks like you bought it new yesterday....And anything you can do to get away from drawing smoke into your lungs is a good move...:happy088:....

So what blades are you using in that Super Speed? I tried a Perma-Sharp Super in a Super Speed awhile back and was knocked out....The razor kept it's low impact mild style but that blade really cleaned the whiskers away....So it was like a mild shave with BBS results...Iloved it....What are you using?

AGHisBBS, Spyder and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Welcome back!

Congratz! Glad you found your right track again! Keep on going!

And the razor looks like a Doozy! Contratz again and Happy Shaving!

AGHisBBS, Spyder and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I've done a variety of blades over the years, but my go to benchmark blades are Astra premium platinum. Even better i found a 500 pack on amazon for $10.

Trac 2 lol!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2016
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Good for you! Nice razor!

Robyflexx, AGHisBBS and Spyder like this.
  6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you got your personal life back in order. Now you can pick up your RAD where you left off:) Nice score on that razor!

AGHisBBS and macaronus like this.
  7. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Got bids on a handfull on ebay as we speak...hoping I don't win them all. Or am I?, not sure!

macaronus, AGHisBBS and Spyder like this.
  8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Wow, what a few years! Glad you got through your divorce quickly and onto happiness again :)

AGHisBBS, Old School and Spyder like this.
  9. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    And another birth razor pick up on ebay...looks like the short handle.
    birth razor.jpg

macaronus, AGHisBBS and battle.munky like this.
  10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Sweet Black Beauty! :happy088:

AGHisBBS likes this.
  11. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    That was always my target birth razor...didn't think I'd ever find it in good condition and bought the one that prompted this thread. Low and behold today I swooped in with a few minutes and got it for $46.

macaronus, AGHisBBS and Spyder like this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3.jpg W
    Well I just picked up a blue tip. If this keeps up we may be sharing a dog house:)

macaronus, AGHisBBS and Old School like this.
  13. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Wow. I mean wow. That is an awesome blue tip!

Spyder likes this.
  14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Similar story here. Congrats on getting on with your life, and remarrying. I've been remarried for 12 years. It's been great. I met her in the apartment complex I moved into after my divorce. We have a 9 yrs old daughter who is the best.
    My ex is still a miserable complainer. She even had the nerve to tell out kids, we had together, that we might get back together. That was 2 years into my new marriage. Not a chance in he##.
    Sometime great things happen, out of one of the worst happenings.

Oh, nice Black Beauty. Is it the Short Handled or Long Handled version? They are both very nicer shavers.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

upload_2016-1-18_20-42-3.png Good for you @Old School out with the old and in with the new! Sweet razor! :happy088:

Old School, AGHisBBS and Spyder like this.
  16. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Nice...my 7 year old had his mom tell him the same thing already. As for the razor, looks like the short handle, don't know, was hoping you guys could tell me. Patiently awaiting it's arrival.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    My girlfriend and I recently discussed finances and I casually brought up the subject of "selling some of my razors if I had to," she said "absolutely not!"

I love that girl. :)

18. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

She's a keeper! :happy088:

PLANofMAN, AGHisBBS and macaronus like this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It looks like a short handle, from this angle. The short and long handle Super Adjustable are basically the same, except for the handle length. Both are excellent razors. For some reason the short handle version is seen less often, yet commands a lower price.

20. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    So the short handle is not referred to as a "super" adjustable as well?