PIF Review: Fatboy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ChemErik, Jan 10, 2009.

1. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I recently received a PIF from Johan (Mastermute) of a Fatboy, and couple packs of blades (Bic Chrome and Wilkinson). Now that I've use the razor enough to form an opinion, I wanted to make a public review and thanks.

Weight
    This is a heavy razor! When used on a gentle setting (3-4) with a very sharp blade that actually make shaving with it very easy, but when trying to get use it with a more mild blade and an aggressive setting, it feels akward and doesn't shave so well.
    Balance
    Just a little heavier on the head end than my Superspeed. I'm not overly picky about balance, except with really light weight handles, which this doesn't have.
    Blade Exposure
    A setting of 1 or 2 is so mild I can't get a decently close shave. A setting of 3-4 works well with more aggressive blades like the Bics that where included. Settings of 5-9 just don't shave well. If it doesn't shave well at 4 with a blade, I find it just doesn't seem to shave well with that blade. Overall - use it with a very sharp, aggressive blade on 3-4.
    Ease of use
    When used with the correct blade and setting described above, it is almost impossible to get the wrong angle and it seems to urge you not to use pressure. Other blade and setting combinations are very difficult.
    Grip
    I really like the grip. All metal, textured and thick.

I'll still be trying a few more blades in the Fatboy, but I'll stick to aggressive blades and at a 3-4 setting. It works well with the Astra Superior blades I ordered in bulk (I'm thinking this is the one blade that works in every razor), so I'll definitely keep it around for a while. I definitely prefer my SuperSpeed, but this at least gave me an impression of what an adjustable is all about. I'm thinking the head shape is so much more important that adjustments are just a minor perk, and not necessary. It will save me from getting excited about the adjustment feature in the future and keep me from wasting time on highly aggressive razors, as I don't like the Fatboy on high settings.

A quick review on the blades. The Bic Chromes felt very harsh in both my SuperSpeed and Knack. It really tamed down in the fatboy and gave a great shave. The Wilkinson blade I alread had a pack of, and after the Bic blade experience, I gave them a shot in the Fatboy. The conclusion is Wilkinson blades = razor burn.

Please discuss the review(s) and what a nice guy Johan happens to be.

2. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Nice review. I gotta try one of those!