Pils razor really that great

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Carbide Mike, May 3, 2016.

1. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

It seems everyone loves this razor. They love it. Any reasons why ? Craftsmanship, shave, or both ?

2. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

The Pils razor is a finely crafted device. Its unique and simple at the same time. It is a mild shaver that may not be for everyone. For that reason its a three pass shaver for me, which for a two pass wtg guy it becomes a special occasion razor. When I want to spend extra time getting an extremely close shave I will reach for the Pils.

Slow Joe and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'd love to own one.

Herm2502, Slow Joe and Robyflexx like this.
  4. realtore!!!

realtore!!! Active Member

I have the 101ne and it's a great shaver. An amazingly precise instrument. That being said looking back in retrospect I really do not think they are worth anywhere NEAR the price. I honestly that most of the new stainless steel 3 piece razors are extremely overpriced for what you end up with. I'll never shell out that kind of dough ever again all because a razor is "stainless"...not at all worth it

Daywalker and Billyfergie like this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Beautifully made and mild. It was too mild for so I sold it. If you like mild razor it maybe a good choice.

Plus it looks very cool.

6. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Its an extremely well made razor. Aesthetically speaking it is a thing of true beauty. For me it provides the best shave and this is because of its weight. It is so heavy that you can just lean the razor lightly on your skin and the razors weight assisted with gravity will do the rest. For me it provides a unique shaving experience which I love.

Sent from my LG-V480 using Tapatalk

7. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Does it bend the blade ? Can you elaborate on the aesthetics. No machine marks, highly polished, is handle slippery ? Thanks Carbide Mike

Slow Joe and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

That is the unique thing about this razor. It doesn't bend the blade at all, it keeps it completely flat.
    The handle isn't slippery, plus the sheer weight of the razor helps to keep it firmly planted in your hand.
    I have the Matt finish razor but there are no machine markings, just a lovely smooth finish.

Sent from my LG-V480 using Tapatalk

snuff, Carbide Mike and Robyflexx like this.
  9. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Thank you for the time and information. Much appreciated. This razor interests me. Not to buy, but it's simplicity, and the way it holds the blade.

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

It seems like the angle would be a lot different than other razors since it doesn't bend the blade. Is that the case?

11. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

The Pils is a finely crafted razor.

Blade sits flat in the head.

Due to this I found that a steep angle worked best.

I got great results but it's a very mild razor.

I prefer something a little more efficient so I parted with mine.

But there are a lot that I know that very much enjoy theirs still.

Carbide Mike and Robyflexx like this.
  12. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    snuff likes this.
  13. ischiapp

Nice ideas how to hack the Pils handle.
    A new handle can be switched.
    It's better the upper shape is little enough to match in the head.
    To not change the balance, some o-rings can help the grip on original handle.

[​IMG]

brit, Tedolph, esvh and 2 others like this.
  14. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Oh man, i´m so excited...i´ve ordered mine yesterday.

Used, via a FB Group here in Germany. I bought the 104NE with the black acrylic part within the handle. Looks like a beauty.

Did i get that right, the the iKon H20 AND the iKon S3S are clones of the PILS? I´ve checked my S3S moments ago and the head design looks almost similar. Just with one side CC and one side OC...i like my S3S, so i think the shave-feel will be not much of a difference, right?

ischiapp and Edison Carter like this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Not a clone at all so the similarity will be in heft and mildness. I got along a bit better with the SBS and kept it while I sold the Pils.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Edison Carter likes this.
  16. ChiefShaver

Yeah, i´ve heared from a few guys who had both and sold the PILS...oh, oh...but i will take look. I hope that it arrives tomorrow. Maybe i should do a direct comparison on my next shave...but no, the fist shave i try to fully enjoy the PILS alone. Time will tell...

17. ChiefShaver

What do i need to do, to set an alternative Handle on the PILS? I like the idea to switch the handles, but i don´t know how to do it. Maybe you can help me out.

Thank you in advance :)

Greetings
    Thorsten

ischiapp likes this.
  18. ischiapp

As you can see in the photo, just loosen the screw.
    Then once the handle is separated, put the one you choose.

19. ChiefShaver

Thanky a lot. Maybe i will try it in the near future. Sounds and looks interesting to pair other handles with with. So far, i´ve had 2 shaves with it yet and absolutely LOVE it. It shaves wonderful and i cannot be happier with it. Tomorrow will be the third shave and i hope it will be as good, but i´m not worried about that.

PLANofMAN and IAmTheJody like this.