Pinaud Clubman: Bad Experience

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by djwurm, Feb 20, 2009.

1. djwurm

djwurm New Member

So yesterday I went by Sally's Beauty Supply to see if I could find Osage Rub but no dice. I did see the Pinaud Clubman AS and decided to pick up a bottle and try it out.

I shaved mid afternoon and when I cracked open the bottle the smell was just not real pleasant to me. I was like I will try it once and see how it performs even though I may not be a big fan of the smell..

Well about 15 minutes after applying it the smell was enough to make me run to the bathroom and hurl.. :sick007

I was up all night with a sick stomach as I could not get the smell off my hands or face and everytime I walked into my bathroom I could smell the Clubman scent in the air. I eventually had to set the bottle in my wife's bathroom under the sink to get away from it.

Now everytime I think of Pinaud Clubman I get a little quezy and cant even stand the sight of the bottle..

I dont understand why I had this reaction as it wasnt that bad of a smell when I put it on. It was just the lingering smell over time that did it.

Anyone else ever have an experience like this with a shaving product?

oh and if anyone in the Dallas area wants a free bottle of this then pm me..

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

humm how about I pay shipping to south Louisiana for it
    Fuzzy

3. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I personally love the stuff and wish it did last longer on me. Sorry it didnt work out for you. If you think that was bad you should smell the Lilac Vegetal...the stuff is putrid.

4. mmack66

mmack66 Member

Did you literally vomit from the odor? Do you have this reaction in Barber Shops?

5. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I got the image of the guy puking on the Team America movie.

6. djwurm

djwurm New Member

First Question is yes. Second question I cant answer as I have never been in an actual barber shop. I usually cut my own hair with clippers, and only time I have had a straight razor shave was at the Art of Shaving store.

I dont even want to deal with packaging it up. The smell of just doing that will make me feel sick again. Would rather just have someone come by and take it out of my wife's cabinet. If not the wife is going to be throwing it out for me!

7. djwurm

djwurm New Member

well wasn't that bad but when I do puke it is usually pretty violent. I am missing the flap between my stomach and esophagus (which causes me to have very bad acid reflux) and when I do start vomiting it is hard to stop.

8. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

I cannot stand the stench of Pinaud Clubman, it gives me a headache for real. I have an almost full 12.5 ounce bottle of this vile concoction that I'll either give away or pour down the drain. :sick007

I also have about a half bottle of Old Spice in the glass bottle that needs to get the hell out of my house for the same reason.

9. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Wow, you must really hate it! Sorry about that. I just went to slap some on and its smells oh so nice:)

10. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

I haven't tried the Pinaud (but I wanna), but Vitalis nearly killed me. I started feeling squeezed and stressed. The feeling subsided when I took a nitro pill, so I thought I was having some bad days from a cardiac standpoint (had a heart attack in August). Then one morning when I got out of the shower, decided to not put anything on my hair. I felt better. Confirmed the next day after not using anything and felt fine that day too.

11. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Obviously this one isn’t for you. I don't find the Clubman to be that bad. You do have to use it sparingly however as it is strong. About a 1/2 splash is enough. Others have said it smells like Brut which I can't stand. I do see what they mean though; I think the base notes are similar but Brut is more perfumey. Anyway there are other Pinaud AS's that are quite nice so don't write off the whole line: Vanilla, Musk, Citrus Musk, Bay Rum all are nice IMO.

To answer your question I have never had this reaction to any shave related smell. However I cannot tolerate the smell of Southern Comfort after a really bad drunk with it 20 years ago. That one still makes me queasy. :(

12. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Shep in college with his buddy in background giving his thoughts;)
    [​IMG]

13. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

The first (and last) time I tried it, my wife almost pushed me down when I was telling her good bye.

14. mmack66

mmack66 Member

Well, that could be taken a couple of different ways.

15. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

:happy102

Not to make light of your unfortunate reaction, but usually when I hear this kind of story, Jose Cuervo tequila is somehow involved.

16. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

The Cuervo Gold
    The fine columbian
    Make tonight a wonderful thing

:cool:

17. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Oof! If by "Make tonight a wonderful thing" you mean praying to the porcelain god, then yes...... :sick007

18. Mike257

Mike257 New Member

I cant stand the smell of Pinaud Bay Rum , that stuff made me not want to try any of the other bay rums. I went to a friend of mines house today and sprayed myself with his Michael Jordon cologn, it smelled good at 12 this afternoon but now at almost 10 at night I just about had enough with smelling this, I going for a shower.I dont like scents that last all day.

19. SALBOSKI

SALBOSKI Member

I bought a bottle of clubman the other day and I thought it was interesting at first, then it started to wear on me rather quickly. Forty minutes later I could not stand it. The only thing I have that is worse is Booster Jickey. That is truly vile.

Duckster, I would be willing to help you with that Old Spice.

20. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

If you pay for the shipping you can have it.

Same applies for the Clubman if anyone here wants it.