Pinaud Clubman

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Hank, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Hank

Hank Active Member

Can any of you put into words what this stuff smells like I'd hate to buy some and think that it smells like skunk urine.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  2. blugill

blugill New Member

It's a very nice scent, very old school a little like Mennen Skin Bracer, only a bit fresher. You really can't go wrong with the Original Pinaud Clubman After Shave Lotion, they have others too but this is the one I'm using. I get complemented on it quite often. It has an Old Barber Shop smell. Everyone should have a bottle of this if your into wet shaving, another good old school scent is Florida Water. I use either of these almost daily, I have some high end stuff to, but these are great !

3. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

I love it and blugill describes it well, my only complaint is while in the plastic bottle I found it had a stong alcohol scent, I decanted mine into a nice glass bottle and it cleaned the scent up very well.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Old school barbershop. Best I can do. Love the stuff.

Paul Turner likes this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Not to hijack, but does it bear any resemblance to their Bay Rum. I have grown to really like the bay rum, but havent tried the clubman yet.

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I cannot remember what Clubman smells like. I do know that I did not like it enough to buy it when I did smell it at Sally's or CVS or wherever it was...

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I've used it off and on for a few years. I find that when I don't use it and come back to it after a time I really appreciate it.

The scent is hard to describe because no one discernible note predominates that one can pick up and define which is why we will say its the
    barber shop.

One offcial description said it had elements of jasmine, orange flower, geranium , lavender and musk, I can only guess thats true:confused:, because its a nice masculine umcomplicated old school after shave that if you're a middle aged man you are going to be bound to like.

Next to Pinaud Clubman you gotta get Pinaud Clubman Vanilla, the scent of that, well you'll just smile.:D

8. blugill

blugill New Member

You Guys got me wanting to go out and pick up some Vanilla and Bay Rum ! Clubman is some great stuff.

Paul Turner likes this.
  9. aberneth

aberneth Member

Clubman is very powdery. The floral notes are muted by an almost pastel mineral tone, and sweetness comes from the geranium and orange. The overall effect is quite vintage and soapy.

10. Maineac

Maineac Member

I get an intense smell of fresh flowers with Clubman. I like it a lot and it is a steal price wise.

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The bayrum is a completely different scent. I will give another vote for the classic vanilla. Good stuff I say.

12. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

I recommend you go into a CVS or Walgreens and smell it there. I did that, accidentally got some on my hands, and I can't STAND the way that stuff smells. I couldn't wait to get somewhere and wash it off. Very strong, very old man. Would go well with moth balls and Ben Gay.

13. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

if its a nice scent you want get a designer cologne. as far as a good after shave splash get your self some bay rum. I like dominica

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

LOL a lot of us go for that OLD MAN scent... :happy102

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If you want to shoot me an Address I can send you a sample of the Awesome sauce that is called Clubman.

Paul Turner likes this.
  16. Hmm... The bottle I purchased at Sally's Beauty Supply had a tamper proof plastic seal around the cap. Couldn't smell it till I bought it.

As far as the scent goes, I like it. Very barber shop-esque. Brings back memories of going to the barber shop with my grandfather to get our hair cut. The plus side is that my girlfriend likes it. Says its manly smelling. I think this is further proof that there is nothing wrong with young people wearing what their fathers and grandfathers wore. I hate all these guys my age that have to run and get the next big AXE or TAG scented crap to bathe in. That doesn't attract the real ladies. Just my $0.02.

Paul Turner likes this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very well put. I very much agree.

18. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I guess I am a renegade. I don't let stuff like that stop me. I yank that plastic wrap off and snort it up. If I like it, I buy that bottle. If I don't, now the store has a tester.

Well maybe not a renegade, more like selfish jerk I suppose.

19. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

And my 2 cents

The smell is ok. What I like about Clubman is it's effect on my shaved face. It seems to do a better job of calming and toning the skin than the others and definitly way better than the high dollar stuff I've tried.

20. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I started my Clubman journey with several samples from their website. Initially I liked the Vanilla and Bay Rum most. But in time, I have gravitated more to the original Clubman (it can grow on you), and it is definitely my wife's favorite overall. So much for first impressions.