Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum

Discussion in 'Aftershave Reviews' started by PalmettoB, Jun 4, 2007.

1. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

In the past I had avoided alcohol-based aftershaves, remembering how I always hated the burn. Then I recently tried Aqua Velva again, and loved it, so I wanted a good (and cheap, and readily available) Bay Run scent, and this really fit the bill. The scent is great, but not overpowering, and it does a pretty good job of soothing razor burn. The scent lasts a good long time.

2. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

:eek: !!!
    Fire on the face.
    It is nice stuff at a good price. And has a long lasting scent.

3. Will

Will Nevermind

OH SNAP!

This will burn you but good. It will leave your face nice, tone, and heals great!

Sent is a very spicey Bay Rum flavor, I really like it.

I gave the burn a 0 because I think it goes 10 for no burn to bump up the ratings as in to have burn form an aftershave is not wanted. This stuff is LAVA no matter how you rate it. :p

4. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Very Good! Oh it will burn like h**l but it will do the job properly. I find it to be booth moisturizing and soothing and apart from Clubman Classic it is one of the best healers around.
    The scent is very dry spicy bayleaf note, and its a long lived scent. And at a price at $6 for 12.5 oz its very cheap.

5. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

Wicked burn. Girlfriend thinks the smell is a bit "Thanksgiving-ish" , but I like it. Better on the dry down, than wet. Not sure if this heals or hurts, but I love the nostalgic scent, it lingers a long time, and deals with razor burn in about 0.00001 seconds after application. I get red around the mouth for a few minutes, but it goes away. No alcohol/burn guys, look elsewhere.

I just realized that my scores might indicate a poor product, but they do not. This is a fine product if you had an irritating shave, and love a good burn, and appreciate the old school scent. These /10 ratings are hard to pin down. Just try it, it is certainly cheap enough.

6. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

Another Top Contender for Your Ol'Timey Barbershop

Scent Cache. Oyeah, I know ya spent a small fortune of your Penhaglion's Bleinhem (what ol'Chuchillian admirer could not have Bleinhem?) and probably
    a few other top of the line specimens of a/s & cologne.

But, a Wet-Shaver should always have a little cache of the Ol'Timey BarberShop Scents (OTBS) from their long ago, ill-spent & wasted Youth. A whiff of these wonderful fumes cause a flood of pleasant nostalgia just when ya need it. And we all need to "reflect" back occassionally, good for the soul.

If yer a Yank, Gringo, Ami, American, Americanski then that l'il cache of OTB'scents has gotta include Pinaud's Bay Rum (& their Clubman also).
    If not, then you've got a huge gaping hole in your OTB'scent. If you're the
    type of guy that just loves to "plug" holes, whether gaping or not:ashamed001, you need ya a bottle of Pinaud's Bay Rum.

Ranking Notes....

Moisturizing:
    Since A/S with alcohol is not generally supposed to be "moisturing", I rate
    it 10 so as to not pull it down due to an inapropo rating category for it's particulars (alcohol content)

Soothing:
    When I think of soothing, I sure don't think of alcohol containing A/S, I think
    lotiony, non-scented, herbal-derbal type of balms. So again I give a 10
    to alcohol based A/S products.

Healing:
    Since the alcohol will practically cauterize your outer epidermis + kill any little
    squibbly invisible organisms that are eating away at your face or neck, I give
    it another 10.

Price:
    If you've bought it or even just priced it, you know it's a 10. The price is
    totally admirable. The price/quality ration for Clubman = Good Value.

7. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

This stuff burns like the fires of hell! I have used other alcohol-based AS before, and none came close to this. I literally had to brace myself before applying it. The scent is also the least favorite of the bay rums I have tried - too much cinnamon, and there was almost a scent of black olives when I first applied it! If you want a good bay rum alcohol AS, I would suggest the TOBS. Much better scent, and doesn't burn nearly as bad!

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

great, once the burning stops!

This stuff stings so much, you can almost jump through the roof, but then it feels real nice. The scent lingers very well on me, and madame likes to cuddle up to me when I wear it!

9. otipoby

otipoby Member

I have used this exclusively for years before I started classic wet shaving. This is still my go-to aftershave. I had the Lilac Vegital. I kinda liked it, but my wife made me throw it out. She likes the bay rum - and that's all the reason I need.

10. reedsteed

reedsteed New Member

Love the scent. This is a classic barbershop scent and is a real manly smell. I also mix this with corn huskers to produce a bay rum balm. 4-5 parts corn huskers to 1 part bay rum. Covers the cornhuskers scent.

11. BrushAndBlade

BrushAndBlade New Member

Needs a rating for scent.
    I like this a lot, just wish it lasted longer.
    A mix of this and Corn Huskers is nice.

12. Dewaine

Dewaine Well-Known Member

There should be a rating for scent, but I guess that is just for cologns. But the scent of this is very good.
    Burns a lot, does not moisturize (is not supposed to), absorbs very well and is very cooling (and soothing after the burning stops). Healing must be up there. And the price is great.
    Everyone who likes bay rum or think they might like it should have this.

13. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

A very good product at a fair price.

I really love all Pinaud/Clubman after shave but that one is my favorite.
    Yes it does burn but it's very good if you had a irritating shave,
    it kind of heal your skin.
    The only thing is that it smell for about 15 minutes.

14. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

This product does burn quite a bit. The scent is very cinnamon and clove like and last quite a while. For me it was an acquired scent. Not my favorite but not the worst. I'm not much of a fan of Bay Rum aftershaves to begin with but this one is ok.
    My biggest complaint on the Clubman line are the cheap bottle caps that have leaked during shipping. Over the years I have ordered several of their products and have had a few leak during shipping.

15. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Opens the gates of Hellfire when applying, but like wasabi, burns fast and intense and goes away as quickly as it comes on.
    Middle of the road as far as moisturizing
    Absorbs nicely, due to that fact that this is yet another scent from Pinaud Clubman that lasts all day long.
    Once the napalm dissipates after applying, it makes the skin nice and cool.
    A very soothing feeling afterwards. Makes the face nice and shiny.
    Again, the price is spot on. Can't beat the price for the quality of the product.

Great scent, too! Good bay rum aroma highlighted with a clovey scent.

16. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

The Traditional Bay Rum scent...

makes me think of sailing over the raging seas, just like the rough sailors in a Joseph Conrad novel.

This scent is very masculine, and yet seems to remain subtle, almost subdued in its presence. It soaks deep into your pores.

This is a splash on that you can literally splash on everywhere and not worry about overpowering other folks in the office or the elevator.

The antiseptic burn is cleansing and therapeutic.

Great Stuff!

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Remember the scene in The Exorcist where Karras replaces holy water with tap water to test the 'demon' but the demon reacts violently anyway? It's because he actually sprinkled Regan with Pinaud Bay Rum and the reaction was legit.

Later he splashed her with Lilac Veg to cover up the reek of vomit but it only made it worse. And that's what really killed Merrin.

18. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Used it tonite after straight razoring it. Use the alum 1st, then the Bay Rum. Love it!