Pipe Guys - Post Up!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Everett, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

I've seen a few guys around here that smoke a pipe, and it is a hobby I am thinking of branching out into, in addition to the Wetshaving, Charcoal Grilling, Pens, and Fine Coffee/Homeroasting that seem to feed off of one another. :p

I don't have any specific questions, as I have been doing a ton of research on things. I think I will start with a cob, or a cheaper wood pipe of sorts, and a tin of Peterson of some sort. I have enjoyed the occasional cigar, and more than a few Captain Blacks in the past, and have quite a fondness for them. I'm looking to get away from the aromatic blends though. I don't smoke much as it is, and I would like to keep it that way with the pipe too, but am curious about what to start with none the less.

2. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

MacBarrens and Mr.B's are my two fav brands the Maple or Vanilla are the flavors I like most.
    I lean a little on the mild side when it comes to strength

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I like my Stanwell pipe, and I like the custom blend my tobacconist makes for me. It's called Black Forest and is a blend of Latvikta, Virgina Golds and Dark Tobacco. Not real helpful. Sorry.

I would pass on the corncob pipe. Just get a standard Dr. Grabow, maybe the bulldog style and if you can get one that's meerschaum lined, even better.

4. fishshocker

fishshocker New Member

I haven't gotten into pipe smoking yet, but I do enjoy a nice cigar from time to time. Let me know when you're ready to discuss charcoal grilling! I switched from gas to coal/wood a long time ago and I've picked up quite a few tricks along the way. Think I'll put a ribeye on tonight!

5. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

I enjoy each kind of smoke on the right occasion. And coffee being a big thing for me, I have a drink matched to every smoke style. I think my favorites, in order, are: Hookah>Cigarillos>Pipes>Cigars and brands being: Social Smoke>Al Capone>Local>Romeo Y Julieta (in the same style order).

My list has underlying influences based on prep time and clean up. I enjoy a hookah the most and can deal with the prep/clean. I enjoy cigarillos because it lets me: inhale, smoke pipe tobacco, and gives me more the cigar feel with no prep and clean up. Don't even need a cigar cutter. I'll admit that the one smoke I always have on hand is an Al Capone pack.

But you can probably tell I'm a part of the younger smoke generation.

6. fishshocker

fishshocker New Member

Romeo Y Julieta by far are my favorites! On the coffee front, I've recently taken an evolutionary step backwards. I've started to favor the french press and mocha pot (even my stainless steel camp percolator) over my quick and easy electric coffee maker. I've been brewing my own beer for 14 years, and there is something special about making and enjoying things in a simplistic way. I'm probably stealing this thread for a philosophical rant...but.....I cook my eggs (laid from my own backyard chickens) in a 5th generation cast iron skillet, that has been greased with bacon fat that I rendered from pork bellies. I make my own beef jerky from deer that I have killed with bow and arrow, cleaned and butchered with my own hands, I can my own vegetables that I grow in my garden, and make jelly/jams from fruit in my yard. I've yet to grow and dry my own tobacco, but that cast iron skillet was past down through 3 generations of tobacco farmers ( myself and my mother never grew tobacco). The whole reason that I joined this forum was to learn about shaving techniques with a safety razor. That cast iron skillet was passed from my great-grandmother...her husband (my great grandfather and a tobacco farmer) shaved with a safety razor. I am currently trying to locate his razor in my grandmother's house. Funny how the simple enjoyment of a razor, tobacco, and coffee can link people from Darlingford, MB, Canada; Ontario, Canada; Oregon; Atlanta, Georgia; and San Antonio, Texas!

7. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I remember when i was a boy my Dad took up pipe smoking. One day his pipe went out when he was doing a little brazing with the acetylene torch - he absent-mindedly tried to relight with the torch...good bye pipe! He hasn't smoked a pipe again since... :think002:

8. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

I just got into this in the last couple of months and have taken to it with the exact same gusto that I had when I started wetshaving. In other words I have spent a bunch of money. Bought a couple of Savinelli's off of the bay and one just picked up an unsmoked Peterson. I also have a cheap corncob that IMHO smokes great. I don't know quite enough to recommend any tobacco's, but I would suggest going to a local pipe/ cigar store and giving them some support. Those guys typically are a plethora of info.

9. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

BTW in the last year I have also taken up home roasting coffee and charcoal grilling. If you would just start homebrewing beer we would be on exactly the same page!!

newb likes this.
  10. Indiexsunrise

Indiexsunrise Well-Known Member

I smoke an old Lorenzo spitfire and love it. Been smoking a pipe for about 2 years. I don't have a tobacconist any where close so I just grab whatever Virginia the cigar shop down the road has. He doesn't carry much but quite often orders new stuff and will usually get me something I request. I do like the occasional aromatic though and as far as that goes you can't beat the CAO cherry bomb it's like $7 for a tin and doesn't have the artificial chemical taste most flavored tobacco has. It is a little moist though I have to set it out for a minute or two when I'm ready for a smoke. I enjoy a nice Cigar also I usually go for a Perdomo or Romio Y Julietta as well.

11. Everett

Good to know! It seems theres lots of charcoal guys around here. I have done my share of grills so far, and I am only on my second 16lb bag of kingsford. Paid 8.99, and 9.99 cdn respectively, seemed like not a bad price. I thought I would get the hang of it using the standard before branching out into different brands of charcoal. I got some apple chips and a smoker box so they dont burn up as fast, and am interested in doing some smoking this weekend.

12. Everett

I have a batch of rhubarb wine in secondary at the moment :p I've started homebrewing as well. Forgot about that, haha. It seems my hobby interests go in shunts and spurts. I'm mainly focusing on coffee roasting/brewing and charcoal right now, and the brewing, and pipes have hit the back burner. Not sure when I'll get one, but I'm sure I will some time. Thanks for the ideas guys, just some food for thought at this point.

byrd likes this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've got several pipes and two cans of 'baccy but have tapered off in the last year in favor of vaping. Not preaching one or damning the other - I'll smoke a pipe occasionally. But you can vape prit near anywhere, which I like.

14. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

Vaping baccy something smells wacky

15. Indiexsunrise

Indiexsunrise Well-Known Member

I see what you did there lol :p

16. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Just had a pipeful about an hour ago. First time in almost 5 years. In my area its been the first nice evening in over a month its seems so I stepped out. I rarely smoke a pipe these days. Currently have a big bag of Cherry Cavendish made by Lane Limited, makers of Captain Black. Always liked the aromatics and the occasional compliment when I smoke them.:)

17. smitty

smitty Member

im-fan-of-corn-cobs-&dark-birds-eye-billybud-&
    Sir Walter Raleigh

18. Babweiner

Babweiner Member

McClelland's Best of Show and a cheap cob are a great starter set. McClelland's comes in a tin (although sometimes hard to find, it's worth the effort) and everybody who smells it will comment on this pleasant smooth aromatic.

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    http://www.healthcabin.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1128 In that case you might be interested in this. Best price I've been able to find. I prefer my Vamo VV/VW mod myself, but a pipe does have it's charm.

20. Batt 57

Batt 57 Member

Pipe smoker here. Mac Baren Cherry