Pipe tobacco

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by mastermute, Oct 28, 2008.

1. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I have now rewritten this post several times... it was supposed to be a poll on your favourite pipe stuffing. I could not decide in teh tobaccos to include, so I thought you might review your favourite yourself!

My "to go" tobacco is Stanwell Guarana, it has everyting! A subtle swetness, a hint of citrus.. it's fresh and brisk!

My other current favourite is "Brobergs Jubileum" a Swedish tobacconists celebratoray blend. A subtle cavendish that is light and still the full cavendish feeling.. It's lovely!

2. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

We have a master blender here in PDX. He is from England originally, and unfortunately is planning on moving back. Anything he makes is good.

3. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

WOW ! How did I miss this ??

Most every baccy Ive ever tried from GL Pease is money !
    Barbary Coast
    Cumberland
    Fillmore

MacBaren London Burley Blend is another I smoke a lot of.

4. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Just got back from a business trip where I got a new tin of "Brobergs Jubileum" :D

5. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Some of my favorites-
    G. L. Pease Cairo
    McClelland Arcadia
    Mac Baren Virginia No. 1
    Mac Baren Club Blend

6. apswartz

apswartz New Member

To be honest, I haven't smoked a pipe since 1979. But, I still enjoy smelling other people's pipe tobacco smoke.

7. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

At the risk of being snickered at as being some kind of simpleton, I must admit I enjoy a bowl of classic Carter Hall more than just about anything else. It tastes like a plain old tobacco should, is widely available, very consistent from lot to lot, well behaved, doesn't gunk up my pipes, and leaves a nice room note for others to savor. It's also ideal for blending with other varieties. What's not to like?

Our local tobacconist is essentially a cigar store with about a dozen cannisters of the ubiquitous bulk Lane blends on hand. I think I've tried them all, and never had the inclination to go back and purchase more of any of them.

The only Lane blend that has ever impressed me is their bargain-priced Smoker's Pride Cherry Cavendish. It's very well behaved, and surprisingly complex. Upon first light, one enjoys a delicate maraschino cherry flavor, which disappears about a third into the bowl leaving behind mellow burley with notes of brown sugar and pumpkin pie. The aroma is exactly the same as the flavor; notes of cherry, burley, brown sugar, and spice. The only downside is that it does not age well at all. Still, this is by far the best inexpensive tobacco I've come across.

8. Will

Will Nevermind

Calling all Frog lovers

McClelland!

G.L. Pease is purdy good too.

Captain Black budget smokers

9. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

I didn't hear a one! I've pumped a round of CH or even PA into the chamber myself!

10. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Captain Black

I've spent many an hour with the good Captain, especially the delightful Royal blend, but it's pricey here in Michigan. Running $5.50 for a 1.5-ounce pouch and $40 for a 12-ounce tin, this stuff just isn't good enough to warrant spending well over $50 a pound. For that same dough I'd go well upmarket via mail order.

Lane, makers of Capt. Black, sells a very similar blend as Smoker's Pride Vanilla Cavendish that compares very well to the "White". I can get it locally for $14 a 12-ounce bag, and Iwan Ries & Co. sells it for $11.10. It's well worth a try if you're into Captain Black White.

11. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I dont think I could get into the not inhaling thing. The hookahs covering that side. I've always wanted to just try it though.

12. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Gee, JayKay, whoever told you that you absolutely couldn't inhale pipe smoke? Many pipe tobacco blends are much milder than cigarette tobacco.

Try it, you may like it. Just like wetshaving, there is a learning curve, but you'll soon get the hang of it. I've been at it for 20 years.

Besides, everyone needs at least one bad habit.

13. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Dude............
    youre fooling yourself if you think you dont inhale with the hookah.
    When you take a huge hit, some of that smoke is going downtown its just so mild that you really dont feel it. Much. Until the next day.

Some pipe smoke you may be able to inhale but I would NEVER recommend inhaling smoke from a cigar. No matter how tough you may be.

14. JayKay

I wasnt thinking when I posted that. I inhale all the smoke from the hookah. Nice big long hits straight into the lungs. I was always curious until I read that you dont inhale pipe smoke. But if people do inhale, than it would stir up a bit more interest in me. Black and Milds are made with pipe tabacco if im not mistaken and I certainly inhale those.

15. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

If you can inhale Middleton Black & Mild Cigars, you could easily handle inhaling many popular blends in a pipe--with the probable exception of classic English blends. You likely won't be trying English blends anyway until you're quite proficient at pipe smoking.

The Middleton Black & Mild pipe tobacco is not recommended, however. There is something artificial to the flavor and aroma that I find off-putting. It also does not pack well.

If you're going to be inhaling I would suggest a pipe with a bowl on the small side, and a mild blend that's mostly burley with some cavendish thrown in to take the edge off of any harshness. I'll assume you'd be going to a tobacconist anyway to look at pipes--they'll have blends on hand that'll get you off to a good start. Cheers!

16. JayKay

Thanks for the help. I may just pick up a few dollar corn cob pipe because I'm not looking to make an investment and I can pick up some tabacco at a shop back in NY when I'm home for thanksgiving.

17. G L Pease - Charing Cross: Traditional Balkan style

18. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Everytime i hear the word "tobacconist", this comes to mind...

Tobacconist

19. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

Since it's pipe weather (as in, I don't spontaneously combust if I step out on the patio pre-9pm), I thought I'd revive this thread.
    I've dusted off the old smoke stacks and investigated a few new blends.
    Right now I have:

-Frog Morton on the Town (McClelland) A mild latakia blend
    -Nicholsworth (Pipe World)
    -Nuttin' Special (PW)
    -Burley Light (PW) a 'less-bitey' burley blend
    -Black Cauldron (Heroes & Legacies)
    -Crow's Nest (H&L) a Va/Per flake
    and a smidge of Vincent's Torment (H&L)

I'm a bit heavy on aromatics right now, but I might balance that out once I polish off the Vincent's. ;)

Any comments or recommendations?

20. Philq

Philq New Member

Its been awhile I should start again but I loved
    Cornell & Diehl's Pirates Kake
    Dunhill My Mixture 79
    IRC 3 Star Blue
    Lane's IQ for a change