Plain old salad oil shave works great

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Epimetheus, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Recently I tried the vegetable oil to replace a shaving soap or cream. It worked very well and was very, very inexpensive. IMO, any type of vegetable oil works just as well as expensive virgin olive oil

I do not think that virgin olive oils is necessary at all. I used Canola oil because it was on hand and I prefer to eat the olive oil.

There are many types of vegetable oil to choose from - if you have allergies to some, now it is easier to avoid them.

The "virgin" adjective for oil is a sales gimmick, it simply means the olives were pressed at lower temperature to preserve the volatile oils and it smells and tastes nice. Regular olive oil is pressed very hard to extract that last bit of oil. The higher pressures create higher temperatures and much of the scent and flavor is lost. In frying it functions just like "virgin" olive oil - the high heat of frying destroys the flavor.

It happens that "canola" is also a word invented by salespeople. It is rape seed oil and most of it comes from Canada. While "virgin oil" sounds nice, "rape oil" would put people off. They conflated Canadian Olio into "Canola"

Try a simple veggie oil shave. You might like it.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

There's a reason I have shaving brushes and 30+ soaps - I really enjoy experiencing a different scent every morning, and I love the feel of a thick, rich, creamy lather that can be whipped up with a brush slathered all over my face. But that's me.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  3. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I don't know, he might have a point -- who knows? If it works, the thing I would miss would be the smell. But imagine cooking bacon in the oil before you use it for shaving...

4. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I sometimes use olive oil as a preshave, used it this morning as a matter of fact. It works GREAT being a newbie to DE and just now on my 3rd shave with a slim adjustable it provides protection to the skin allowing me to turn up the dial and try new settings comfortably as I work on my technique. YMMV :)

5. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:rofl:

Billyfergie and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy097: I wanna clarify I use it as a preshave so I still lather my soap over it and have the cushioning and nice smell. I know it would work well for shaving but that would kill the "spa treatment" for me. :)

Billyfergie and BigCabDaddy like this.
  7. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Agreed, I also find the scent, feel, and process of lathering to be a mini-spa and will not give that up any time soon. :)
    It's just, ya don't need fancy oils.

The fam is not permitted in during "me" time. Especially the dogs.
    • Shera would knock the shaving mug onto the floor.
    • Stryker would then eat the soap.
    • Mi-mi would jump onto me for attention and cause a shaving malfunction.

8. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Tried some olive oil for a shave this morning and it didn't do much for raising the whiskers, not the best first pass, even tho the warmed oil felt nice. Washed the oil off and lathered up and did my normal shave. Maybe I was doing the oil shave wrong but I prefer my hot washcloth prep and lather routine. Could be I'm just old fashioned.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  9. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Fine..long as you don't hold the garlic..:pot:

10. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Of coarse garlic is a must:eatdrink013:

11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I have oily skin so I don't use oil as a preshave before I lather, I use Corn Huskers Lotion. That said I like your idea of using cooking oil as a preshave very much! Cooking oil is very easy to find, easy to store, and very affordable. :)

Robyflexx likes this.