Plated Straight Razors. Myth or Fact??

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 11, 2018.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I know this has been debated, many times, over the years. Are there "Plated Straight Razors", are is it just a Myth. I've never had my hand on one, personally. But, I have seen many on the internet that looked plated.
    Well, this debate has gotten heated, in the past, so, for the sake of settling this Myth(debate), I decided to buy one I saw, on Ebay, and post the pics here. This ended up costing me $13.65 total, but I feel it is worth the money, to put this debate to rest.

The Palmer #41. Chicago.
    These shots are from ebay, and show the bubbling up of the plated material, on the tang, and blade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My pics:
    This shows the tail where the material is peeling off, as well as the tang bubbling up. I have had some Chrome plated Double Edge Razor that were flaking, and this looks exactly the same. I won't do it, but the plating material is peeling in such a large piece, on the underside of the tail, that I could peel it off.

P8110405.JPG

P8110406.JPG

Others, feel free to post pics of razors you have come across that are doing the same. Or, feel free to comment on this razor I've acquired. BTW, I'm not 100 percent sure what the plating material is, I haven't had it tested, nor do I know where to have it tested.

2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    As was brought up in the "Heated Debate"

No one said they don't exist That I remember, the heat was about one person insisting they were common

In fact my very words were the only ones I have ever seen were "Advertising Razors"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Palmer_House_Hilton

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  3. DaltonGang

I'm not trying to restart the Carbon vs Stainless thread debate, post #42 on.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/stainless-vs-carbon-how-do-you-tell.10440/page-5#post-1443467
    I'm just posting pics, so there isn't any doubts that Plated Straight Razors were made.
    I don't know anything about the comments about them being used for advertising. Since mine only says The Palmer, which is a hotel. But, wouldn't it make more sense for the razor manufacturers to put out plated blades, with their names on them, rather than a hotel? This, so that. When the perspective customers handle them, over and over, they wouldnt tarnish or rust without oiling. Now, if The Palmer Hotel was a very expensive hotel, they perhaps handed these inferior razors out, presharpened, to their big spenders.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  4. DaltonGang

Cool story about The Palmer Hotel. I guess this razor is associated with the first hotel.

5. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    I thought the second myself because the Baber Shop was featured

I have seen some advertising razor that were actually made with pressed cardboard scales, so the idea that they were made for "Shaving" is in question

Yes in the thread post #57 I said "I have seen plated Razors that were "Advertising Razors" post #84 I actually posted pics again of plated razors

The issue in that thread was the insistence of one person that they were common, never that they existed...

M14Shooter likes this.
  6. DaltonGang

I think that thread and those threads on other forums might have confused some people. It still amazes me that someone would plate a Straight razor.
    Looking at The Palmer Razor, I will say, the scales are pretty nice, and they would look and feel at place on a high dollar razor. If you want, i could send the razor to you, and you could give it a good examination. Maybe you could figure out what the plating is, or whether it was made as a gimmick, or if it was actually meant to shave with.
    BTW, i still owe you a couple of Durham Duplex Razors. :D

7. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I read all of that other thread and e enjoyed the read. I too struggle with the idea of a straight razor being plated. Sharpening said razor would remove plating. Surely if the metal used underneath the plating was inferior it will be prone to rust or may not be capable of holding an edge.

I suppose it is possible that the steel used underneath holds a fine edge, but isn't/can't be made very shiny... maybe?

I have a Sheffield Wostenholm. New ish, for that maker (1930s probably?), with that same smooth angular tang as Scott's above, and a beautiful mirror finish. Billy said it was a bit of a PITA to hone, with some small chips near the bevel causing issues.

I find it very hard to believe a serious Sheffield maker would produce a plated version, but as mentioned above maybe advertising purposes or cheap provision in bulk for other companies like hotels may have pushed it to happen?

I'm fairly sure it's not plated but I would love to know how many makers have created them.

Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Thank for posting the pics, seeing is believing but understanding is another thing.

DaltonGang likes this.
  9. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    @DaltonGang What I would REALLY love to do is Buff it

I want to see what is under there and if I can polish it and then hone it out, I would love to see what is there when it comes to steel

jason koonce, Dansco and M14Shooter like this.
  10. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I'll chip in the 7 bucks! :p

JohnDB and jason koonce like this.
  11. DaltonGang

Send me your mailing address.

Dansco and gssixgun like this.
  12. DaltonGang

The Palmer 41
    Chicago

This just came back, from @gssixgun . He buffed out the blade, and one side of the tang. To me, it looks like nice steel. I shaved with it today, and had a very nice shave. Excellent work in honing Glen.
    Here is what he said.
    Well, it did seem that the 1k bevel set alluded to a softer temper, the edge came together fine after that, but there was more steel swarf on the Chosera than the 3 razors before it, two Sheffield and a Solingen..

Seems fine but I am going to just strop it in and send it home to you, try a few shaves and see if the edge holds :)

ps: I used a Lydian Touchstone aka Basenite for a finisher, I have been messing with a coup[le for a bit .

Here are some pics.

P9290582.JPG

P9290583.JPG

Keithmax, brit, mrchick and 1 other person like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

plating for corrosion resistance?

14. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

What we're all confused about is how its not ground off when honing :happy097:

I guess the question is whether these razors were ever meant for use, or whether it was a way to make a pretty looking razor on the cheap?

Keithmax likes this.
  15. DaltonGang

I'm sure that was one of the reasons.

It is ground kff, during honing, but in the area of the spine and bevel. It matched the color of the metal so well, it was difficult to see the transition between the plating, and the underlying steel. At least it was for me. Maybe @gssixgun saw it better, since he played with it more.

Keithmax, Dansco and brit like this.
  16. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    One of the questions that struck me was the "Why" of it
    It honestly made zero sense, it took little to no effort to polish the steel, I guess time will tell, the only noted difference was on the 1K bevel set.. The steel was softer, and there was more visible swarf on the hone, not more than I have seen on other razors but more than the Quality Vintage razors I was honing at the same time.. It was comparable to a Gold Dollar on the 1k, we will have to see how it holds up to shaving now as really that is what matters..

The plating is NOT what we think of as plating when compared to a Nickel Plated Handgun or a Chrome Plated Bumper this is much thinner...

17. DaltonGang

I will put in rotation, more often, to see how it holds up.

gssixgun likes this.
  18. DaltonGang

Shave 2.
    Second shave with "The Palmer" went even better. It seems the more it is stropped, the smoother and sharper it gets. Not edge degradation yet.

19. DaltonGang

Day 5, using this American made, Plated Razor. No degradation in the edge, it just seems as sharp as ever, and is getting smoother. It left me with a near BBS shave, without touch-ups.

The Palmer 41

PA110603.JPG

20. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

nice.always good to see alternate ways of doing things that work

Keithmax likes this.