Poll about shave cream samples

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by jramire2, Jun 6, 2007.

1. jramire2

jramire2 Member

I've come to the realization that I have a TON of shaving creams and that many of them will likely go bad before I actually get to them.

I've also had good luck in the past trading cream samples for other items I've wanted, so I have access to small containers.

So I've been thinking about starting to sell samples of creams to other members (someone else on another site used to do the same). My prices and sample amounts would be in line w/this previous seller, which I think were reasonable. Plus, I remember in a previous thread, that the idea was brought up for one person to buy the entire line of Taylors and then sell samples to everyone.

So, if I did this, how many members would actually be interested in this? And, of those members interested, what creams would they want to see available.

Below is an incomplete but lengthy list of my cream stock;
    Trumpers
    Violet
    Coconut
    Salters
    sandalwood
    mint
    citrus
    lime
    Taylors
    avocado
    St James
    Lime
    sandalwood
    lavender
    T&H
    Ultimate Comfort
    Coates
    Tea Tree
    Lime
    Crabtree & Evelyn
    Sandalwood
    Sienna
    Almond
    Proraso
    Red
    Green
    Arko
    ALL scent

~Joshua

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Sorry Joshua, I have enough creams and soaps to last me 3 years or more. I just need a couple more. Tabula Rasa and Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap.

3. Smedley

Smedley New Member

If you were shipping to Canada, the Trumpers and Coates samples.

If not, then none of them. :cool:

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

What are the prices and sizes of the samples? Pics Please. Thanks.

Raf

5. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Sounds like a great idea. I'd like to see some prices and pics of the size of samples you are thinking about putting up for sale.

6. jramire2

jramire2 Member

I'm guessing this kind of offer would be more akin to newbies that don't have the stock that most seasoned wetshavers would have, allowing them the ability to try several creams w/out having to buy a larger amount (and then the pain of reselling if they don't like it).

But I'm glad to see some of us that have been around the block would be interested.

I'll start putting together a full list and some pics to provide a better idea of what I've got in mind.

Note that I would be making a slight profit on this, which is why I posted this in the vendor section. A reasonable profit to cover my time for doing this, which would all be put back into expanding what I have available on a sample basis.

I would eventually like to get to the point where I literally have the entire line of Taylors(low price alternative for most shavers), Salters (mid range price), Trumpers (high end) and Castle Forbes (very high end) along w/some of the good but single line creams (Musgo, Muhle-Pinsel, etc). T&H & AOS doesn't really make any sense b/c most of us have a nordstroms nearby that provides samples for free.

I'm ALSO considering selling soap samples. Don't ask how I plan on doing it, I want that to be a surpise. I would likely only be able to do this (at least at this point) for artisan/glycerin based soaps at this time, and I have yet to contact them to obtain their approval. I would not consider doing this, unless I had their approval first. But due to the relative low cost of these items in the first place, and the shipping costs involved, I'm not sure if this would be a good idea.

Triple milled soaps would be good, due to their longevity and relative high price for each soap. But short of buying them and literally slicing them up, I don't know how you could make a sample of each kind. Still though, if this would be taken well, I'd consider it. What does the board think?

~Joshua

7. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

as an "around the block" guy, I must say that this is simply wonderful. There are dozens of soaps and creams that I would like to try. I got my start that way on another forum. Also, this is a great way for newbs to get a good try of some great products without spending the farm on them. I just love your soap idea. Labor intensive springs to mind, but I am book marking this page to check in on your progress. Keep us posted!

I had a short idea about melting down some glycerin soaps and then pouring them into reese's peanut butter cup type papers to give to family members. Just an idea.

8. jramire2

jramire2 Member

MaBuHai! My wife's filipino! I'll keep you posted, and will let you know about the soaps.

~Joshua

9. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

awesome!

mariming salamat :)

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

So any updates to this thread?

Raf

11. jramire2

jramire2 Member

I've ordered more sample containers and I've spoken with and received approval from one of the soap vendors that I plan on making samples of.

I've ordered two test tubs from this vendor to make sure;
    1) I can get the soap out of the container and
    2) slice it into decent sized samples.

The only concerns this vendor has is that I don't melt their soaps down and encourage those who purchase a sample from me don't melt them down as well. They doubted it would affect the performance of the soap, but were concerned that the scent might be affected by melting it.

I've also got five new types of creams coming my way.

AOS Lavender
    Ingram
    Erasmic
    Euro Palmolive
    1600 for men - (don't believe this one has EVER been discussed on the board)

I've also picked up a tub of J Peterman 1903, and it is excellent!

More to come soon.

~Joshua

12. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Joshua,

Thanks for the update. Please keep us informed.

Raf

13. La Pedrera

La Pedrera New Member

If you're doing something to Canada, as a newbie, I'd be interested. But also as a newbie, I don't have any brands in mind at all.

C

14. jramire2

jramire2 Member

Canada will likely be an option, but expect shipping costs to be a bit higher.

I've shipped items to canada before, not samples but other shaving items, without any problems.

Just got two tubs of soap from the online vendor that agreed to let me sell samples. I'll be testing these to see if I can do more than just mutilate an excellent soap.

~Joshua