POLL; Would you visit TSD without tapatalk?

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by sparky5693, Jul 28, 2017.

?

Would you visit TSD without tapatalk?

1. Yes. Spend the extra income here.

19 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. I'd return, but probably less than if we kept tapatalk.

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. No. If tapatalk goes, I go.

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  4. Don't use tapatalk don't care.

61 vote(s)
    70.9%
  1. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    There was a time when forum software wasn't very mobile friendly, and in that time, tapatalk showed up and provided many forums with a nice friendly mobile format that just worked. These days, most forum software (ours included) has caught up and has pretty sweet mobile support built right in. I'm certain that tapatalk has it's fans still so I'm looking for some feedback from our members.....

What you may not know, is that tapatalk makes money on every forum that supports it, and this is revenue that would normally be going to the sites you visit. Most forums (ourselves included) make money from ads, or referrals to other websites (such as amazon and ebay). Forums are not inexpensive to maintain, between hosting costs, and software fees it does add up. When forums use tapatalk, they share that revenue with tapatalk (tapatalk actually takes the majority of it).

So I suppose I'm looking for some feedback from our members, would you be upset if we stopped supporting tapatalk and put the increased revenue into the forum?

RaZorBurn123 and BigMark83 like this.
  2. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I have used tapatalk very rarely. I login to TSD from phone, tablet or desktop without issue not using it. Windows and Apple.
    I would not miss it. If others are adamant that they need it, I'm wondering if they might just need a little coaching on how to login without it.

Linuxguile likes this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I never had a problem using a browser on my tablet. Save the cash.

gorgo2 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I tend not to frequent forums that are not on Tapatalk. I would be upset.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

jaxstraww likes this.
  5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Never used it so I wouldn't miss it.

6. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I tried tapatalk and I wasn't impressed. This forum works fine on my phone.

BigMark83 likes this.
  7. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

What the hell is tapatalk?

Slipperyjoe and dustmite like this.
  8. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I tried tapatalk and found it extremely invasive in regards to my forum accounts and experienced that it was very easy for some to stalk (Follow) you through it. Nope.

9. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

To be blunt, IMO tapatalk sucks...

10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I use my PC most of the time on the Den. When on my tablet, I just use the browser as Tapatalk wouldn't work right on it.

11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I mostly use my phone when on The Shave Den and I've never bothered trying tap talk. Get rid of it.

12. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Don't know either but it has a good rhythm to it..:git:

13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That's not the issue . Tapatalk is useful as it has all the forums I participate in (about 10) in one convenient app. It also hosts the photo uploads for all those forums, no need to link to another photo hosting site. It also has messaging for all the forums in one screen. It ain't perfect by any means but for mobile users on multiple forums it's valuable.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  15. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Never used it.

16. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

I use Tapatalk most of the time when I am accessing the forum. I didn't realize the cost was an issue. I could live with the minimalist mobile theme on my phone browser if you decide to drop Tapatalk. I think it is a better experience overall than the browser, but being part of this forum is more important than the tool I use.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

PanChango likes this.
  17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I use Tapatalk for the same reasons and would miss it.

18. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

On my tablet, I don't use the mobile theme, I use the Vintage one. Shows up just like using the browser on a PC.

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

I just opened TSD in a Firefox browser on my Android phone, rather than using Tapatalk. Looks just like it does on a Win7 computer using the Cool Blue interface but for the smaller screen. I'd vote save the coin for operating TSD.

20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

FWIW the only forum I participate in that isn't Tapatalk friendly is ATG, and I do in part because they provide photo hosting. I recognize I'm lazy.