Pomade help ...

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Dusty5150, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Dusty5150

Dusty5150 Well-Known Member

Looking for help from the greaser's and older guys here, I know there's got to be a few :cool:

So this is my first summer with hair in over 20 years and over the winter and spring I've gotten to using Layrite Super Hold for my 'pomp'. I also use Lucky 13 wax based pomades, when I want the real greasy look,but they're a pain to get out, and they make a mess of the pillows. Now that our heat and humidity has kicked in, my hair is acting weird. Seriously, my wife laughed at me, but it's true, and I need some help. LOL

Inside, air conditioned, my hair is fine, it behaves & the pomades hold awesome, but as soon as I step outside, walk the 4 seconds to my car, look in the rearview and it's all wonky and wants to stand. I'm assuming this has to do with the combination of heat and humidity.

I know that Layrite is water soluble ('holds like a wax, but washes out like a gel'; not so much), so I'm sure it gets affected. So today I figured I tried a medium weight wax pomade. Nope, same thing.

So what's the trick in heat and humidity? just go heavier? more quantity?

Thanks for the help!

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Tres Flores Brilliantine, Muchacho...Like the jingle says...a dab will do you. Mexicans love it!

BTW in the Pacific Northwest where we have a large Hispanic population, "greaser" is a derogatory term. I realize you used it unintentionally, and I'm not Mexican, so I don't care, but you may want to edit your post to use more "politically correct" terminology as some of our readers wouldn't understand and be offended.

On a more serious note, try a "clay wax" or for something local, L'Oreal Paris Studio Line Overworked Hair Putty. Waxes are the next step up from Pomades. They are oil based though and must be applied to absolutely dry hair.

Another option is to mix a little Axe Messy Look Paste into your hair before you apply the pomade. This is the option I would recommend you try first. It's a cross between a wax and a glue.

3. Dusty5150

Thanks for the tips Ryan. I have some 'paste' I'll try out.

As for the greaser term; I don't want to get into that big 'ol discussion here, but greaser is a subculture or lifestyle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greaser_(subculture)). Kinda like hippie, but cooler :cool: ;) It is unfortunate that is may also carry a derogatory meaning in some geographical areas. I don't think I need to edit my post by any means.

4. Cavere

Cavere Active Member

Recently I switched over to the American crew hair fiber. For me it does the job well. It is a matte finish which I know you said you wanted some shine. Personally I avoid shine in the summer so it doesn't look like I'm sweating. Regardless their products seem to be fairly decent.

5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

You may have to go back in time..lol..I'm a Dapper Dan Man!..I tell you what...

Tdmsu likes this.
  6. Dusty5150

Cavere ... I've had my eye on the American Crew products for a while, just haven't tried 'em yet. They're near the top of my list to try next. Thanks!

LOL I have a Dapper Dan frisbee ... if they did ever come out with an actual Dapper Dan pomade I'd be all over it.

7. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I have some recollections from when I was a kid back in the sixties..they used to call it "that greasy kid stuff"..lol...

jakie55 likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I was going to recommend American Crew, but I couldn't think of the name. They have an excellent reputation.

9. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

I've been using rumble 59 schmier for about a week now and it holds great in this heat wave. It's wax based I think and gets a little soft in the heat but didn't disappear when I sweat. I've only used the medium hold do far so I'm not sure how others hold up, but if you're going for medium hold I love this stuff.

10. benjiboy

benjiboy Member

Murray's is good. Thick stuff but holds well. I can use it, pt(excercise), shower just rinsing my head and it will still work. It's a pain to get out tho. Paul Mitchell dry wax works but doesn't shine. Groom and clean gives you the shine without the hold. Try brylecream. I haven't used it but I hear its good.

11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I've gotten to be a fan of the "got2be" line. The mauve container is a cream... hold & matte finish. The orange is a cross between a thick gel and a wax which gives hold and shine. The orange also has a nice barbershop scent to it. Whereas the mauve is scentless after application.

I've also used the axe (gasp) in the black container w/ blue writing. Also good hold and light shine, also a really thick product.

12. nascarfandan

nascarfandan Active Member

As a folliclely challenged person (at least on my dome) I have no use for the stuff. I do remember the old man however using tres flores brilliantine when I was a kid. Great smell. I remember stealing his to lube up my Rubix Cube.

Dusty, as a person of Hispanic origin, I knew perfectly well what contex you were using. You got nothing to worry about buddy.

13. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

Ok after using a bunch of different kinds over the last few months I've come to an understanding. Heat I'd bad for wax/petroleum based pomades because it melts them and you'll start to get fly always. I got some layrite and it works great with no great issue, but when you sweat it's water soluble and starts to come out. The most luck I've had is with a heavy hold like Murray's or dax and keep a cheap pocket comb with me. If it melts a little and starts to pop up a little you can comb it down while it's still soft and when the temp drops it'll harden again and stay in place. That's how I've made it through the last few heat waves at least.