Pondering thinning out my den...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Troy M, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Good morning gents. I'm sure some of you have considered thinning down the den a bit. I've been on a quest to use up soaps and that has helped and in 5 or 6 years, I might see the bottom of the magic shoe box. I bought enough blades in my first year of shaving to last me at least 6 years as well. Over the past 3 years, I've bought, sold, traded or given away at least 30 razors and am now down to a comfortable, but likely still unreasonable number of tools in my den. None of my stuff is collectible but is all of top quality.

So, give me your best advice on either:
    a. Getting rid of all but 2-4 razors
    b. Keeping them all, even if I never use them

2. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I'm an odd guy out here I know, but did same thing you are contemplating. I have 4 razors.
    Birthyear and quarter Slim that I use on Sunday's.
    Rockwell 6S MIM is my daily shaver.
    Rockwell 6S version 1 for travel
    My dads Slim he used while overseas in the service.
    Also down to 3 brushes
    L'Occitane version one daily brush
    L'Occitane version 2 for travel
    Whipped Dog Silvertip badger rarely use
    And only have 7 soaps but will get that down to about 5.
    When I started I bought a bunch of stuff and found what worked for me and sold/PIFd everything else.
    Completed NB 16 and in and foresee completing NB 17.
    I'm not a collector so easy for me to thin my heard to only what I use.

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Become a Shavevangelist! Have you shared your passion with family and friends? Your postman or paper delivery person? Make vacuum packed time capsule of gear that you don't use but can't part with. Your grand children may enjoy them one day.

4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I've given all three of my sons razors, brushes, blades, soaps, etc. and tried to get my brothers started as well. 2 of the sons have great big hipster beards and 1 has shaved once in his 13 years. Older and younger brother are retired police and military, so they don't shave after 20+ years of duty shaving.

wristwatchb, Spyder and RyX like this.
  5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I like to consider myself a collector of vintage shave gear. If I have something that I'm not using I will either keep it if it is vintage or if it is modern I will PIF it.

Spyder, Troy M, Hodge and 1 other person like this.
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

It's all a matter of what you like. I've got about 50 razors and rotate through them all. I guess I'm worried that, if I cut down to only a couple razors, wet shaving will become a 'task' (like electric shaving used to be) instead of something I really enjoy.

You could always send your excess to me (Oh, did I say that?). LOL

HERM

Keithmax, Jayaruh, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  7. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Not knowing exactly how big your collection is - I can see letting go of some soaps that were bought and didn't like and never use. But the rest of the den (at least in my case) takes up such little space when compared to other hobbies that involve collecting something - why get rid of anything? I have well over 2000 blades - but they are in three plastic fishing tackle boxes that take up virtually no space. 30 or so soaps - again half are on two small shelves in the bathroom the rest are neatly in the cabinet under the sink - why get rid of them. The razors and brushes are all on display on the same two shelves as the soaps. Being able to look at my stuff is part of the enjoyment. I collect other things - such as books. I have over 50 shelves of books but have never thought about getting rid of any of them. Now if you want to thin the den down to make room for new stuff - that's a different question.

Spyder, RyX, Troy M and 1 other person like this.
  8. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

:signs011: mostly. I still need to get past the hording of some products (shave brushes, soaps) I've aquired but don't want/use any longer.

Spyder and Troy M like this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Understand completely.
    1) (Most important) Pick out 7 (choose your own number) Soaps/Creams/AS/Razors/Brushes you cannot live without. (Blades must be replaced eventually)
    2) Continue on your NB. Stay determined to only replace an item when said item is completely used up.
    With the remaining items in your den...
    3) Donate to TSD raffles.
    4) Make the occasional PIF.

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

:signs011:

Spyder, Troy M and Primotenore like this.
  11. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

In general I've been simplifying the stuff in my life the last few years. My shave den is fairly modest compared to most, but even going from 12 soaps & creams down to 4-5 I feel I enjoy them more because I can dial them in and have the added satisfaction of using them up. Eventually I think I will pass on some of my lesser used razors.
    Ultimately if you want to keep & collect or pare down your unused razors is a fundamental question only you can answer. Whether you sell, trade or PIF trust that they will find a good home.

Spyder, RyX and Troy M like this.
  12. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I say sell some of them. If you have a trip you want to take or a purchase outside of shaving. This could help with off setting the cost. I was able to raise money for my trip by selling razors. I've also been able to acquire the razors I really wanted as well. I've pifd some on here and given a few to the newbies here. But in the end they belong to you and do what feels right to you.

13. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

For me, everything is money vs time. If you would rather have the money, then sell. If it isn't worth your time, don't worry about it.

Spyder, Col C and Troy M like this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

When I switched to straights, I either sold or gifted most of my razors. I kept my birth quarter super speed, and a modern three piece as a travel razor. I kept two Schlick injectors in case I need a close shave in a hurry. I have one GEM that I may get rid of. That will be four safety razors. I have six straights I use in regular rotation.
    The thought of having all of the other razors not getting any use just didn't "feel" right to me. I felt better knowing others are using them rather than me hoarding them.

Keithmax and Troy M like this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I was really into collecting when I first got back into wet shaving. I still have a NOS Valet Auto Strop. Never use it. A Gillette Tech that rarely sees the light of day. I will eventually sell these and some other things just sitting around.

Troy M and Spyder like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You so need to join the Dark Side

Keithmax likes this.
  17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

:signs011:

18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'm with Herm. I have over 50 razors but I use them all. I could get rid of about 10 though. We shall see.

19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I don't have that many soaps and razors, but I have enough blades for the next thirty years. That's a safe idea for me

Troy M likes this.
  20. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have two in rotation right now, but have about 8 total. Most are just heads with a couple of Bulldog handles to use among them all. My tastes change over time and I have re-purchased razors after selling/giving some away. That is no fun either. The rule I use for non-sentimental items is whether I have used them at all in the last 2 years. If I haven't, then it is likely that I am not going to use them again and I would think about selling then. My current razors really don't take up much room, aren't worth much, and are already paid in full so I am not in a real rush to sell any of them.