Popular Soaps You've Never Tried?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Legend In My Spare Time, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Has anyone not tried a particular soap even though they're constantly praised and lovingly reviewed?

I'm a bit of a wet shaving minimalist and love to keep my shave den efficient and streamlined with only my most treasured essentials. Also, I'm pretty partial to using a product completely before buying more (heresy around here, I know, lol). So, with that being said, there are quite a few soaps I have yet to try - even after having been wet shaving for 6+ years.

The two soaps I've been wanting to try, but have never gotten around to are:

yhst-16445739206724_2270_764233__43943.1405335819.1280.1280.jpg

and

[​IMG]

I have no idea why I haven't tried them. I have nothing against them at all. In fact, they are probably two of the most popular soaps in the wet shaving world. I tend to stick with unscented soaps as most fragrances burn my skin, but seeing as how these are the cheaper side, I might have to try them both out on my next shopping splurge.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Too many to name.
    So many soaps, so little cash.

3. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

I haven't tried Tabac, Proraso, Barrister and Mann, I'm sure there are more but just can't think of them. I have tons of Arko. If your interested I can send you a stick so you can try it. Lasts forever.

4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

There are too many to name. I will only purchase what I need, which means there are many that will have to wait. I would like to try MWF and B&M, but not any time soon.

Sent via mobile

5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Tabac, i was told it smelled like an old lady who smoked. But e everyone seems to love it, I'm confused.
    Martin de candre, love the reviews, not so much the price tag. Harry said, "A man's gotta know his limitations." Dirty Harry cant be wrong. I can't bring myself to spend that much on soap.
    MWF, they said it was hard to lather. Why get a problem, so many are exploding with lather.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Arko and Tabac are both good performance soaps with scents that are shall I say Pronounced. I have both, and like them for the performance and scent. I just had a sample of Mitchell's Wool Fat - another popular choice. I found it lacking in scent, but a good lather.
    At one time I had a list of soaps to try, but it becomes unwieldy because artisan makers pop up faster than I ever imagined purchasing, and some shut down production before I could buy their product.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Like my grandmothers purse. A little perfume, a packet of Kleenex tissues, and these.
    Certs Fruit mint.jpg

9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

As someone said above"so many soaps, so little cash".
    Like to try B&M, Castle Forbes, ah I don't know too many to chose.

10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Leave the arko, take the tabac. Tabac is incredible. Arko smells like a urinal cake.
    You need to stop absolutely everything...Right now...And go find a way to procure some Barrister and Mann soap. Seriously. Get it now. You won't regret it. May "in the know" wet shavers consider it to be their top soap.

11. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I have read all the reviews and gotten interested in various soaps and then gone on three or four soap buying jags over the last couple years. The result? I have enough different soaps and creams that it takes me 2 months of daily shaving just to try them all, it will take me about a decade to use them all up, and there are still soaps on my wish-to-try list (MdC and B+M for example).

Eventually you just have to decide that a few good soaps you personally enjoy using have to be enough - you can't test drive every soap in the shaving market, just like you can't test drive every new vehicle the manufacturers put out every year. Unless you want to have a shaving cupboard the size of most people's clothes closet...

One thing I would suggest: samples or the Soap Pass Around. Sellers like Maggards often offer soap samples at a small cost, which will let you try a couple shaves worth of the soap without buying a whole tub. I know I was able to sample Castle Forbes and Henri et Victoria offerings that way. And if you live in CONUS, I believe the Soap Pass Around is now up to about 15 lbs. of soaps you can sample or swap.

Douglas Carey, RyX, George X and 2 others like this.
  12. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

B&M ,Soap Commander, Valobra, TOBS, T&H,

13. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I've never tried Arko. I have read it smells like a deodorizer in a urinal.
    I'm sure there are many more.

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Never tried any Mike's or Soap Commander.

15. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

MDC and Proraso are two more titans of the wet shaving world that I have yet to try. One day though!

Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  16. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I like both Arko and Tabac, but I really like The Godfather reference.

17. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Try the Green for Menthol Monday's!

Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  18. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

It's interesting to me that Tabac often gets mentioned. I have a bowl of it and it does perform well, but I think others perform as well if not better in the same price range.

Sent via mobile

19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I like trying new soaps, but it is a long slow process.

I have not used the vast majority of them...

Douglas Carey and crackstar like this.
  20. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Mike's
    Reef Point
    WSP
    Martin de Candre

There are others, I'm sure. So many great soaps to try.

Douglas Carey likes this.