Port wine

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by PhilNH5, Jan 28, 2010.

1. PhilNH5

PhilNH5 Member

My wife and I went to a romantic inn to celebrate her 50th birthday (Shhh... Don't let on that I said her age). For dessert I had a cheese plate with local artisan cheeses. I washed it down with a glass of Sandman's 20 year old port. It was sweet and tasty. A nice compliment to the salty cheeses. It was such a nice way to end the meal I ordered it two more nights.
    My 50th is this year. I am considering splurging on a vintage port from 1960 to celebrate with. Heck I shave with a 1960 SuperSpeed.
    Does anyone know anything about old port? I could never afford a 50 YO wine. But the high sugar and alcohol content makes even pedestrian port cellarable for a long time.

2. firstfloorfront

firstfloorfront New Member

My favourite drink :D

I've got a couple of bottle of 20 year old but I don't dip into them too often; they tend to empty out too quickly that way. My day to day port is either Taylor's LBV or First Estate, or something I've just discovered to be very moorish and that's Dow's Midnight.

Having said that, with the exception of White Port :eek: I'll take any Port in a storm ;)

Here's a useful link - http://www.thevintageportsite.com/

Peter

3. CaptainDave

CaptainDave New Member

Just my opinion but ruby port is terrible, tawny is the only way to go. Ruby is supersweet, Tawny has that nutty caramel flavors.

Now the only difference between a vintage and regular port is a vintage will only contains only grapes from that year. So a 1950 vintage port would be only 1950 grapes, a 1950 port could have a blend of different years (before 1950). Only buy vintage if you know it was a really good year.

So be careful sometimes the word vintage just means it cost more and doesn't actually mean it taste any better.

Check out the wine spectator for some good reviews. One of my favorites is the Warre's 10 year tawny, 91 on the wine spectator and only runs about $40.

4. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Taylor Fladgate 1963.

Never had it, but if I had the chance, that would be THE one I'd try.
    And , oh yeah....................its my birth year .
    So
    I got that goin for me :sihns011

5. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

I know what you mean there.
    While I don't flip for port in general, the white port I've tasted had all the sweetness of a tawny port but none of the fullness of flavor to balance it out. :sick007
    It might be fine used in desserts of something like that.

6. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

That's some good info there, CaptainDave :happy088

And a really nice Tawny that is for sure :D

7. CaptainDave

CaptainDave New Member

I'm lucky to have a friend in the wine biz, he's taught me a lot. Recently I've moved away from Ports and started drinking more Saurternes. Something about the honey, citrus marmalade taste....mmmmm

8. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm....... I've never heard of that one before :ashamed001

But the honey, citrus marmelade tast sure sounds really nice :happy088