Possible for body to grow accustomed to antiperspirant?

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Capt America, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Capt America

Capt America Member

Basically, I've been using the same antiperspirant for years now and it's always kept me dry.

In the past 2-3 weeks I've been noticing it being rather ineffective on my right underarm. The left is still fine, as it always has been. But it's become hard to keep my right armpit dry. I've tried more/less antiperspirant and nothing.

Anyone know what's going on here?

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    No idea.

Perhaps, it has to do with body chemistry, changing hormones.

3. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

It might have something to do with your body not enjoying the prevention of the natural sweat process any more and it has kicked it into high gear to compensate.

4. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

ok, chemists, back me up on this

Antipersperants use silver nitrate (I think) particles to clog the sweat glands in your underarms, basically just not letting the sweat out.

I went to straight deoderant and just wear an undershirt when it matters...

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Yes my friend, I believe you are correct. I also only use deodorant.

According to oldpsice.com you can not become "immune" to deodorants/antiperspirants....

..........And they couldn't say that if it weren't true........right?????? ;)

Back when I was using anti-antiperspirant, it sure felt like they would stop working. Eventually I would switch to a different brand with mixed results.....so I believe a scientific analysis is in order here. :D

6. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Good question Kevin, wish I had the answer. :ashamed001
    I too am now using only deodorant. I used to keep a couple of anti-perspirants around. Seemed like I would use one for a while and then my underarm would break out so I would switch. I tried every brand available, always the same, some worse than others. Worked for a while, then BAM!
    I finally listened to Joe and switched to plain deodorant, took a while to leach my system of "stench" :happy102 but it works just fine and no more itchy underarm. Have you tried the solid blocks similar to the alum block?

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Same here. Plain deodorant. Crystal mineral sticks or sprays. I also remove hair so I have bare skin to apply the deodorant to. Much better after years and years of everything else.

8. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Where ya been, Cap'n ??

I like the Crystal too.......10 years on the stuff now

9. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

What I use too.. no going back!

10. Will

Will Nevermind

[​IMG]

Followed up with a little Old Spice body spray under their and your all set.

11. jnich67

jnich67 Member

I just started using Burt's Bees herbal deodorant. So far I'm fairly pleased.

Jordan

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

It's good stuff but watch for irritation. It can be a little harsh if overdone.

13. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

:shocked003:shocked003 Isnt that stuff just Axe in a different colored bottle? (the old spice, not the crystal)

14. Will

Will Nevermind

Perhaps but it smells like OLD SPICE and not Axe. :D

15. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

The Old Spice body spray ("Classic Scent") is indeed good stuff. :happy088

16. likwidoxigen

likwidoxigen New Member

I have the unfortunate problem of being able to sweat through every antiperspirant on the market (literally male and female tried hundreds of brands) so I quit using them. However if i can keep my arms more spread i just naturally sweat less.

Did you happen to buy a new car recently and switch from manual to automatic? Or just start keeping your arms down more or some sort of habit change like that?

17. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I had the EXACT same thing occur with me. Seemed my right arm would sweat like the dickens. BUT, I found it did it when I was working a job that i truly loathed. When I quit the job the problem disappeared. My question to you would be, are you in a high stress unpleasant situation right now?

18. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

Is the Crystal Deodorant made out of Alum? If so, can it be used on your face like an Alum Block?

- John

19. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Yes and yes :D

20. Capt America

Capt America Member

Sure aren't.

The problem seems to have subsided since I made this thread, anyway.

As for deodorant- I sweat far too much to not be using antiperspirant. Plus I work in hot areas, so wearing an extra undershirt would be like torturing myself.