Post Shave Question -- Aftershave, Face Moisture

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by DChalfy, May 4, 2017.

1. DChalfy

DChalfy Member

I have been reading many post shave routines and noticed that more times than not, if a face moisturizer is used, it is used after the witch hazel and aftershave. Why is this?

My issue is that I like the scent of my aftershaves and some last a long time. I have not tried the above yet, so I would like the opinions and facts of using witch hazel, face moisturizer, then an aftershave after the moisturizer has dried sufficiently.

My final question for this thread is, has anyone used Jack Black Face Moisture and price aside (I know it is considered overpriced), how do people feel about the performance of this product?

Thank you all,
    Don

PLAla, Terry Williams and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Aftershaves tend to contain a fair amount of alcohol. Antiseptic in case you nicked or damaged the skin. That alcohol evaporates quickly. The scent oils in aftershaves are lower percentage than EDT or cologne so they tend to fade quicker. Applying moisturizer after other products leaves that protective layer on top and may seal in the scent? Add another shot of AS on top!

3. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I actually do put moisturizer on before aftershaves or colognes.. My routine is alum, moisturizer, aftershave. That way the moisturizer doesn't mask or dilute the aftershave. I usually put on Nivea balm or Proraso Aloe and Vitamin E balm and let it soak it in while I brush my teeth. Then, I use the aftershave/cologne of my choice. Both of the balms are pretty non-descript and don't collide much with the aftershave (especially Nivea White). That is what works for me, but it's your shave.

DChalfy, RetLEO-07 and RyX like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    IF, I were to use all of the above-mentioned products, I would apply them in this order:
    1) Alum
    2) Witch Hazel
    3) AS/EdT/EdC
    4) After shave balm.
    But, it's your face, see what works best for you.

DChalfy and RyX like this.
  5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I used to use witch hazel mixed with an aftershave followed by Nivea sensitive balm (white bottle). The past couple of months I have gone to witch hazel first, letting it dry down, then aftershave splash and no balm. I will use balm only if necessary for dry skin or a spot that seems irritated.

As @Primotenore said above, there are no set rules or procedures, so use what you like and what works for you.

DChalfy, RyX and RetLEO-07 like this.
  6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I'm the same. Hot/Cold rinse, alum block, cold towel, Dominello Vitali Calming Post Shave Moisturizer(which is unscented) followed by the A/S of the Day.
    That more often than not is the start to a great day!

+1

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I use a scentless balm, doesn't interfere with the aftershave.

DChalfy, RyX and Terry Williams like this.
  8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I use some Stirling Unscented PSB followed by my AS of the day. It seems to work for me, and I never feel my skin is dry. Do whatever you feel works for you.

Paul Turner likes this.
  9. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I use Witch Hazel followed by an ASB, or a DIY coconut oil/Shea butter balm.

10. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I started with Nivea Sensitive Cooling balm; when that ran out, I tried the regular Nivea Sensitive. No scented stuff for me. ugh. It's like walking down the detergent aisle of the grocery store. Every hole in my head will close up. Sensitive skin, more sensitive snout.

11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I add food grade Glycerin to my aftershave, only 5-10 drops per bottle, if the aftershave doesn't have any moisturizer to start with.

Terry Williams likes this.
  12. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I use Alum then AS I don't use balms really but after I get dressed and the AS is dry I use some unscented face lotion with sunscreen in it Every Man Jack and Neutrogena make one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I just use Nivea Sensitive aftershave balm. No alcohol burn and it does a great job moisturizing my skin after a shave.

Terry Williams likes this.