Potential dangers of using alum block?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by SlaveShaver, Jul 14, 2017.

1. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

Potentially stupid question coming up. I understand that it's important to use an astringent after shaving, and I was kind of keen on using alum block. However, after watching this video: https://nutritionfacts.org/video/antiperspirants-and-breast-cancer/, I am wondering if the aluminium used in deodorants bears any relationship to that used in alum blocks? If so, I can't imagine it would be a good idea to use, given that the science discussed in this video seems to indicate that aluminium used in deodorants is so toxic that it appears to cause breast cancer in women.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

I just realized that a few people actually asked the same question in one of the comments of that video and received replies from a doctor.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I've never heard of any issues. This would be worth looking into though.

I couldn't find the doctors comment, what did he/she say, @SlaveShaver ?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Your face will fall off!

Just kidding. I absolutely have no idea.
    I have found that if I use alum several days in a row my face will feel irritated. But that's me.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

He made a reply to a question two people had about alum block (I just used the CTRL + F function on that page to see if the topic of alum block would come up, not really expecting anything to come up because I didn't think anyone else would also be weird enough to make that connection, and two other people had thought of it as well and asked a question). I've put his comment below:

"My I suggest that the use of the alum block is probably not a good idea as the entrance of aluminum via open skin would potentially place you at a higher level of both absorption and potential for immune stimulation. You might find it interesting to read a recent book discussing the issues with the use of aluminum in vaccines and it’s effects, in Paul Thomas MD's new book. The very small amounts of aluminum add a substantial chang in the effects and….. we are dealing with open skin, surface bacteria/etc. and your circulation.

Clearly there is a difference between the injected format vs the shaving supplies however why even chance the exposure.

Dr. Alan Kadish moderator for Dr. Greger"

I was kinda more worried about the possible cancer proliferation, rather than just the irritation lol (although irritation is also a concern for me as well),

I think I'll avoid the alum block and just use a different astringent - probably witch hazel - just to be on the safe side.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I try to stay away from any skincare products containing aluminum. Yet I have two aluminum razors, and am thinking of getting a third one. :signs002::confused:.

RaZorBurn123, RyX and BigMike like this.
  7. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Is there anything left on the planet that hasn't been accused of causing cancer?
    The CDC web site says that lab experiments with very high oral doses of aluminum in animals was inconclusive with respect to neurological damage. Nothing there suggests aluminum is a carcinogen.
    Many metal oxides are toxic to the lungs when inhaled. Other than that, I believe aluminum is just fine.

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The antiperspirant mentioned is an entirely different compound than Barber Alum.

Taipan and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

Both antiperspirants and alum block contain aluminium, which appears to be the offending substance in the antiperspirant.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

Both chlorine gas and common table salt contain chlorine. One is a chemical weapon, the other one isn't.

Screwtape and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The particle size of potassium sulfate of aluminum (Barber Alum) is too large to pass through normal human skin, and unlikely to release aluminum or aluminum ions. You're really concerned over nothing here. Antiperspirant deodorants contain tetrachloride salts of aluminum, an entirely different concern.

Screwtape, RaZorBurn123 and BigMark83 like this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Any time you have a concern about your personal health I'd suggest you/we/me always consult with your primary care physician.
    I remember when I was a kid if I got a scrap or cut my mom would put on Merbromin, you know that bright red stuff.
    Well now it's toxic. What about when I was having it put on me? Toxic.
    :eatdrink023: