Pre de Provence?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Mitch, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Anybody ever use this soap? Thoughts? It's a soft french soap I understand, a local shop carries it and I'm thinking about picking up a puck.

srpavko likes this.
  2. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

I have added it to so many of my shopping carts but always end up taking it out before i order lol...im not sure why...but please do let me know how it goes if you grab some

3. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I have not used PdP, but I have used Provence Sante which is another shea butter based French soap. The Provence Sante is simply superb and because of that I will keep other French soaps on my radar. PdP I think I may eventually try, but I have Institut Karite and Martin de Candre on my wish list at a higher priority.

4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'd actually consider PdP a hard soap. Of the soaps mentioned above I've used them all. With the exception of MdC I find them all to be lacking something, however, I can't really put my finger on what it is. MdC is superb but I dislike the scent to the point where I sold it. I do like Savon du Midi, it would be my favorite French soap. Remember, YMMV. These aren't bad soaps, I just have others I perfer.

5. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

Hi Mitch, PdP has been in my rotation for some time now, and I don't know if I'd feel comfortable being without it. Pre de Provence soap is a hard, triple milled soap with good ingredients. It never irritates my sensitive skin, nor does it overpower me with it's scent. I find it takes a little more effort to get it going than Speick Shave Stick, Cella, Prairie Creations or La Toja, but once your over the hump, the lather is thick, protective, slick and holds very well. Not quite as slick as Speick, but does provide a nice glide so long as you got your lather where it needed to be, and you'll know if it's not there because it will be a tad thin. I find PdP easier to lather than Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna soap (also hard milled) with more cushion and better slickness than C&E. The scent of PdP is light and herbal, delicate and very pleasant.

Do yourself a huge favor and avoid the Pre de Provence shave CREAM. That stuff us awful in my book. It won't lather, it's not slick, invites irritation from the blade and smells like your hands after pumping a tank of gas. I honestly don't know how they can make such a great soap and such a terrible cream. The company needs to address this. I wonder if the reason you don't see many using the soap stems from people trying the cream first. Of course, this is all subject to opinion. For $14 I think the SOAP is worth a shot for anyone who likes a light herbal scent, great cushion, dependable glide and doesn't mind a few extra swirls of the brush to get there (compared to soft soaps and shaving sticks).

Hope that helps! :)

6. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Thanks fellas. Sounds like it's worth a try. One thing that appeals to me about it is that it is sold in a metal tin with a cap which I think would be just awesome to put the cover on it and toss into my dopp kit when going on the road. Kinda hard to lug my ceramic mug around so when I'm traveling I usually just resort to a can of Barbasol.

7. Mr. Flay

Mr. Flay New Member

I'd pretty much echo BassTone's sentiments. I've transitioned into mostly a cream guy, but PdP and Cella will always be in my shave den. I like the PdP scent a lot. I always finish off a PdP shave with the PdP balm. Good stuff.

8. Steve

Steve New Member

Pre de Provence is excellent. I am just running out of my first puck and it lasted several years. You get over 5 ounces of triple milled soap so it's a good value. I also love the Verbena scent. I take it out of the tin and place it in a mug. Does anyone know of any good deals on Pre de Provence shaving soap?

Steve

9. CSG

CSG Member

I have it in my roster of soaps and like it fine but don't use it all that often for some reason. It's a good product but it's not unique or overly special and I find myself going to other soaps and creams instead.

10. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

I currently have a tin of Pre de Provence soap in my rotation and I really like it. It produces a nice slick lather that facilitates a great shave. There AS balm also works well for me, it has a great scent.

PdP also makes a shaving cream, but I wouldn't PIF that junk to an enemy. Truly awful stuff.

johnus likes this.
  11. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

The scent is gentle but good. I have heard it describes as light sage, but one of the ingredients is Rosemary. I have used mine about 10 times and can still read the words on the top of the puck! It may just outlast me.

12. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I just got a puck in the mail today from Bullgoose. I needed some Proraso pre shave and figured I would get some soaps too. I also got some TOBS, I will be using the PdP in the morning. I am more of a hard soap fan over creams. The storage is getting to be an issue though. I will let you know how I like it.

13. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

I like this soap a lot, but I didn't when I first tried it. It is a lot easier to lather with less water than most other soaps. Once I figured that out I became very happy using it, especially with a little glycerin added.

14. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

This is one of the few soaps I can get locally. Haven't tried it yet but it's on my list.

15. jabberwock

If I could find PdP locally I would be ecstatic. I've never seen any non-specialty store carry it. Even though you do not have much available locally, whatever store you found PdP at is a winner, even if that is the only shave product that they carry.

16. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

So it's that good eh? I went by the store, a natural foods tore called Country Aire, and smelled it. It didn't really flip my lid but smelled nice. They want 12.95 for a puck in the tin, I thought that seemed reasonable for such a hard soap. Maybe I need to reconsider it.

17. jabberwock

PdP is excellent soap, but has a slight learning curve. It really does well with much less water than other soaps and can be difficult to lather until you get the water ratio correct.

The Shea butter makes for great skin care, the soap has a clean soap smell rather than a heavy fragrance smell, the tin is cool, and the difference in base products gives for an interesting alternate to both tallow and glycerin based soaps. PdP also happens to be one of the few soaps that leaves my skin smooth and irritation free with no need for any post shave products.

The cheapest that I have found this stuff for (including shipping) is about $17 from BullGoose Shaving, so if you can get it for under $13 then you're doing great.

srpavko likes this.
  18. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

Luckily I can fin it local in Salt Lake City for about $12-14. :)

19. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Agree with DaveL the AS Balm is very nice. Clean scent and it feels great.

20. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I liked my first shave with the PdP. It took a little more effort to get the lather going than my Tabac. Once I got it whipped up, it was quite hydrating and had really nice glide.