pre-shave alternatives

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by huckelberry hound, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

As long as you like the scent, it's worth a try.

2. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

The CVS didn't have the hollywood stuff in stock so I settled for a standard 1/2 mix of Castor Oil and Olive oil. Bonus! This is just what my shave was missing. Thanks guys.

Sara-s and swarden43 like this.
  3. huckelberry hound

huckelberry hound Active Member

So I took a trip to meijer and picked up some castor oil to try that out, I also picked up corn huskers and Somersets maximum glide pre shave oil excited to try all three has anyone used somersets?

4. GlennConti

So here is my mix: 4 oz of Castor Oil, 4 oz of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1/2 oz Eucalyptus Oil. I just added the Eucalyptus to my mix. Hope I didn't add too much but I really like the smell. Tomorrow will tell.

5. Lakebound

Lakebound Well-Known Member

I've been using Somerset's for two weeks now with very good results. Just 3-4 drops applied to the more sensitive areas (for me, the neck) and then a vigorous rub followed by hot towel before shaving.

Frank

6. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

I'm still new to DE shaving but found Shave Secret to be a really good oil (then again Ive only tried AOS and American Crew)! Best part is, it only cost $1.58 @ Wallyworld

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Just go easy on the Eucalyptus or you'll find yourself being stalked by admirers of the scent...
    [​IMG]

GlennConti likes this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

For that quantity, it think 1/2 ounce of eucalyptus is OK. But if you find it too strong, just add more castor & olive oils.

GlennConti likes this.
  9. GlennConti

I have been using it and it smells nice and I haven't been getting any strange skin irritation or such. So for me at least it's not too much eucalyptus oil. I recently got some sandalwood cologne here from TSD. While the eucalyptus is strong the sandalwood lasts much longer. I can put it on and still detect it like 12 or so hours later; not so with the eucalyptus. So now they are both my go to scents.