Pre shave oil

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by DrDead, Oct 7, 2010.

1. DrDead

DrDead Member

Does anyone use pre shave oiles. What are the benefits of using them. I've been using a straight razor for about three weeks and I'm wondering if it would help. Also can you make it ?

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I used the KOS mint oil when I first started, but I quit using it because I did not see much benefit, nor can I tell you what the benefit is. I have heard of people using them and making them, but I have no recipe.

If you want, I can fire you off what is left of my KOS....PM if interested.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Though not an oil, I use the TSD SubZero Pre-Shave Balm for my weekend SE shaves, straight and single edge. Provides a little more lubrication for a bit more glide of the blade. I like it for its cooling menthol, as well.

4. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

BTDT & Q

Been There Done That and Quit...

I saw no measurable improvement from using pre-shave oil.. I used the AoS and KoS oils and it seemed to do no more than add another step with no dividend.

5. TSasser

TSasser New Member

Never used a pre-shave oil but I do hear Olive Oil ain't that bad. Not sure if I would try it but some like it.

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:sihns011 Except for every shave I can.... Mmmm marinating!

7. 8thsinner

8thsinner New Member

I have been experimenting with two different oils to reach two different targets.
    The first is Someests shave oil, Awesome feeling that really wakes you up and helps to get a softer bristle, Very handy for monday mornings shaving.
    The second is pure coconut oil, Really helps to reduce irritation if you are getting that issue, I do on occassion now, but can usually tell by the first pass whether I need it or not.
    I also like the smell of coconut.

8. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Tried a few (King of Shaves and Shave Secret) and found no benefit for me. As a pre-shave treatment I find that lesser quality shaving creams seem to work okay. There is an Every Man Jack cream I bought that doesn't work too well as a shaving cream but works well as a beard softening treatment. Hair conditioner works really well too. Goes to show that you shouldn't throw anything out. :)

9. DrDead

DrDead Member

I have the every man jack shave cream from a couple of years ago I'll have to try that.

I'm also ordering some TSD sub zero preshave balm and jeff is sending me some KOS oil. Thanks everyone !

10. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I have experimented with castor, olive and grapeseed oils, separately and in combinations. I found castor to be the best beard softener, and grapeseed to be the best skin protector (especially my neck which is problematic). My current blend is 50-50 castor and grapeseed.

11. jgkeegan

jgkeegan Member

I have been using the Castle Forbes non-oil) pre-shave lately. I've experimented with Anthony's pre-shave, Jack Black Beard conditioner, Pacific, Keils and Proraso. I apply them, then use a hot towel on top for 40 seconds, then lather my face and begin pass 1 of 3.

I think they help smoothness.

12. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

I am using The Art of Shaving's pre-shave oil for shaving with the DE and with the SE razors, have not done so yet when shaving with a straight.

13. Lucky11453

Lucky11453 New Member

I use the Art Of Shaving pre shave oil once in a while...I think it helps when I use a straight razor. When you think about it the oil can only help not hurt.

14. seb

seb New Member

L'occitane, :signs021

15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Never touch the stuff.

16. slonenek75

slonenek75 New Member

I use Truefitt and Hill pre shave oil, works for me, expensive , but works, and you need very small amount per shave, so should last long time
    Tried Castle forbes water soluble- does not do much at least for my beard.

There's different recipes for home made pre shave oils available.

17. DaveNJ74

DaveNJ74 Member

In the same boat. I love Truefitt & Hill's pre-shave oil. It actually helps in giving me a smooth shave and I had the Castle Forbes pre-shave which wasnt as good and had a weird smell to it.

18. Fido

Fido Member

I've tried several. Pleasant, but very little difference to my shave. But the only way to know if they suit you is to try some yourself.

19. CSL

CSL Member

I recently bought the Art of Shaving pre-shave oil (sandlewood).

I do find a positive difference in the shave & the way my face feels afterward.

It's a fairly subtle difference but anything that makes the shave easier & less irritating is worthwhile, IMO.

I also bought their shaving cream & am liking it, too.

20. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

I have been seriously considering some preshave oil or cream...I have tried using hair conditioner in the shower before my shave but don't feel like it helps very much