Pre shave oil

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by DrDead, Oct 7, 2010.

1. E-mursed

E-mursed New Member

I have sensitive skin and came back to wet shaving reluctantly. Using a preshave oil has really made the difference in reducing irritation. I use a homemade version that uses castor oil, jojoba oil and some essential oil. I wouldn't dream of shaving without my preshave application.

2. Fogey

Fogey New Member

Wash my face with Hot cloth and soap.

Splash on a dose of "Lectric shave". (once in a blue moon I'll pull out the ole Norelco and have at it)

Apply a dose of "Shave Secret".

Gets me a DFS with a Sensor II

For a BBS, I add a good lather with my Badger.
    And Williams or other favorite.

Sensor II. Sometimes a Fusion just for the
    Halibut.

Apply Afta to whole face for balm and stink purty...!!!!

Keep in mind I get lots of compliments from the Gals at the Senior Center. Mrs, likes the cheek test too.

Caution,,, Might not work for young macho studlies.:happy102

3. micbag

micbag New Member

Naive question?

Hi,

New here. I use a DE and do three passes. About to start using pre-shave cream. My question. Do I apply it before each pass, or just once, at the beginning? Thanks.

4. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

micbag, welcome...

you pose an interesting question.

I suppose the answer is... YES!!

No reason to not try it both ways and see what feels better! One thing I've learned here is there are precious few hard-fast rules. Try not to over think things too much, which I am quite vulnerable to doing. If it feels good, go with it, otherwise, skip it..

I have pretty tough skin and a heavy beard.. I could shave with a brick and not get irritated, so pre-shave oil never seemed worth the extra step for me.. though I have tried it many times.

5. micbag

micbag New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the reply MikeKiM,

guess you're right. Also, Yes, I overanalyse! Will experiment.

6. poeraven1845

poeraven1845 New Member

I use the T&H Pre-Shave oil. It is pricy ($250/L) but that will last you a year or more. I ran out once cause I got the travel container (2 oz) and the shaves without it were not nearly as close as with it. It has a great scent and also really feels nice on the face. I preheat mine in a little dish prior to putting on my face.

7. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

I have used a few oils and I fee like they clog the razor during the shave, making it pain to clean them of the hairs and whatnot. Plus, they always need a thorough scrub after the shave to really clean them out. They are nice, but they are a lot of work

8. poeraven1845

poeraven1845 New Member

Joe, Is this when you use a Cartridge (like a Mach 3) or a DE razor? Cause surely this does not happen with a SE. Especially since a SE you want to strop and oil after each use for storage.

9. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

DE. It gunks up between the razor head and the top of the razor blade. And of course, since it's oil, it won't simply clean by running it under water. I have to take my razor apart and wipe it off with a towel or use cleaning agents...which is a huge pain in the butt

Maybe I am using too much oil? I have a very thick, dense beard so sometimes I feel like it's not covering my entire beard very well

10. poeraven1845

poeraven1845 New Member

Nah, chances are you aren't. But with a think beard it will grab more and I can imagine it would gunk up a DE fairly bad. I never used a DE. Went from a Pro-Fusion to a SE. Heck in the amount I was paying for cartridges I have more than made my money back. But I digress, yeah if it is gunking up your DE I say don't bother then. I do know for a SE shaver it is nicer with than without.

11. Spy Car

Spy Car Member

Try just a few drops 3-5. Nothing more than the skin can easily absorb, and gently work it in. Think of it as a skin conditioner that will give elasticity to the skin rather than trying to use it as a lubricant.

You should have no gunk. And you may (or may not) find it helps with irritation, especially when using a very sharp blade.

Bill

12. DrDead

DrDead Member

I've used TSD sub zero for about two months and it works the best for me. I use very little but it goes a long way, I also like the cooling. :freezing
    I noticed it does help with irritation but the more I shave with a straight the less irritation I get. I think technique has a lot to do with it.

13. chaucer

chaucer New Member

New Way

I've used Kell's Original Pre-Shave Oil with some success but generally not enough to justify the extra time. (I really like the KO soap sticks, though.)

This morning I rubbed on the oil before my 1st pass and more before my 2d pass. The result was excellent--BBS shave with no effort or scrapes. Tomorrow I'll try the oil just before the 2d pass. That may be the key.

14. chaucer

chaucer New Member

Follow-up: This morning I used the shave oil once, after the 1st pass and before the 2d pass. It worked again!

15. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I've been using TSD ISZ PSB and Jack Black Pre-shave Lube. I put them on in the shower after washing my face and just lather over them. Both make for a much smoother and more comfortable shave, especially with straight's.

16. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I use oil mainly for the skin conditioning it provides in the winter time. It feels better to me than balms. I use a few drops of Truefitt & Hill oil before the shave and by the time I'm finished shaving, it feels great. I don't use it for every shave, but during the winter months at least two or three times a month.

17. drw6895

drw6895 New Member

Pre-shave Oil

I have used Trumpers Sandlewood Skin Food as a Pre-shave and this works very well. The razor also cleans up nicely.

DRW

18. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

The TSD M-Bomb is a good preshave oil enhancer. I add a drop to my dime sized oil puddle in my hand, and together they seem to offer even greater protection (and menthol kick too).

Also, I used to apply the oil at the beginning of the shave (before pass #1), and that provided some benefits. However, a Den post a few weeks ago suggested applying the oil before the last pass, or before touch up. I have been trying that lately, and that approach is working wonders for me. Since I tend to cause most of my irritation during touch up, that is when I seem to get my best advantage from preshave oil.

19. 8thsinner

8thsinner New Member

I have been using the alpha oil for every shave through two bottles of the stuff.
    And adding more oil as you progress is working wonders for me too.

4-5 drops on first, 2/3 on second and one on the last. I tried it one day last week without the latter lot and you can really tell the difference.

20. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I got a sample of it (for sensitive skin)...and after I put it on my face was on fire and I had to wash it off!

So that was the end of my preshave oil. However I have recently purchased the Proraso Preshave cream and after testing it a few ways I find it helps give a smoother shave if applied right before you lather (and especially between passes). I did this, this morning, and WOW! it was the smoothest shave I've ever had!