Pre-Wetting soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Optic1, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Optic1

Optic1 New Member

Had an interesting experience Saturday morning that Ive been trying out in the days since. Got home in the early AM from the airport, crashed and arose at my usual time in a fog and found myself preparing to shave - before my shower.

Ooooops. No harm done all I'd done was put a little hot water into the pot of MB Tuscan Memories so I set it aside and hopped into the shower.

When it came time to shave I was pleasantly surprised by how much lather I got and how easily I got it. I've repeated the experiment the last couple of days and it seems that if I put just an 1/8 inch or so of hot water onto the soap and let it sit there while I shower and then lather up as per usual I get super lather really effortlessly.

Anyone else have this experience?

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Yes sir, that technique works very well.

And, if you have too many glycerin soaps in stock........its a great way to go through them pretty quickly :rofl

Hard soaps will hold up better if you are soaking them like that every time ;)

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

This is one of the popular methods of prepping a soap for lathering. Glad you found a technique that you like.

4. Optic1

Optic1 New Member

Ah, dont think I can have too many in stock, just too many for Domestic-6 tranquility. OTOH if I can be seen to be making a *visible* "dent" in them, well naturally I'd have to resupply so as to not be caught short..... opening up another window to select additional MB Scents.....

5. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I do that at times myself

6. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I do this with Hard soaps and Cold Press soaps. As mentioned before glycerin base soaps will wear faster using this method.

Raf

7. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Better results each time I do it! Even a minute or two will make a huge difference.

8. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

really ???

:D
    just dont use a "dry" brush on that soap ;)

9. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Don't worry Rick, we all know you're the "Grandfather":eek: of soap lathering :rofl:rofl:rofl

10. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

it probably does use them up a little faster, but the results are completely worth it in my opinion... I do it every time..

11. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

I usually just fill the cup with hot water and let the brush soak while I grab a shower. Always provides a great lather.

12. fritz

fritz New Member

I use a Kent BK12. I figure if there isn't a lot of lather left over after 3 or 4 passes, then I just didn't use enough soap!

And if you pour the hot water off of the soap and into your lathering bowl, then you aren't really wasting the soap, even the glycerin ones.

Too little soap, a barely adequate lather... life's too short to put your face through that!

13. Optic1

Optic1 New Member

Seems to work across the board

at least with all the soaps from MB. I've been doing it for a week or so now and am getting great results, a really nice slick lather whips up easily.

14. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Lather just explodes from my Art of Shaving Lemon shave soap when I put just a little water on top of the soap while I shower. I don't care if the soap doesn't last as long either. With what I just picked up today, I have nearly a two year supply of just soap. :D

15. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

So... wetting your soap means it will wear faster meaning you get to buy more soap!

[​IMG]

16. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

17. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I think I have enough soaps and creams to last me a few years. If I didn't make enough for 5 passes then I used too little.

18. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Sometimes im afraid im not gonna get through them before they dry out or what not

19. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Nothing wrong with buying more soap! Supports good people like TSD for instance. :D

20. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Soaps have a pretty long shelf life. I am still using my Colonel Conk almond in a travel case that is several years old. I can't remember when I changed it last.