Preshave Balm

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Dave Paskowski, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

I was wondering what you guys and gals thoughts were on the use of a preshave balm? I'm considering getting some but don't know if I really need it.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've used (need to get more) of TSD Sub-Zero PSB and I make my own PSO.
    I've found both seem to soften the beard a bit, and provide just a little more glide for the razor, resulting in a more comfortable shave.

Dave Paskowski likes this.
  3. Dave Paskowski

The Sub-Zero is what I'm considering. Do you wash off the balm before you lather?

4. swarden43

I've used it several ways.

I've applied it to my dry face, let it marinate in for about half an hour, then take a shower and wash it off, then shave.
    I've applied it to my dry face, splashed on some water, lathered right over it. Done the same with my oil.
    I've applied it to my wet face, splashed on some more water, lather right over it. Done the same with my oil.

Of late I've been using the latter routine. Try the different ways and see what you like.

I was worried at first about it messing up my brush and clogging my razor. I've been using PSB and PSO for about three years, I guess, and I've had zero issues with brush or razor.

5. Dave Paskowski

Thank You Sir!!!

6. swarden43

Just a tip, weather it's balm or oil you use, just apply it thin and light, don't goop it on thick and heavy.

7. Dave Paskowski

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My husband & I use a PSO. We find it helpful in reducing razor friction.

9. italianbreadman

italianbreadman New Member

It seems almost too good to be true that anything could improve my shave over a de razor and quality cream/soap. The improvement from when I used to use a Mach 3 and canned foam has already been nearly unfathomable.

Do you all think the feeling is that much better with the psb?

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Many of us like them, but we are all different. The only way to know is to try some, for yourself.

11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've used Jack Black and Proraso pre shaves...I now use Corn Huskers lotion...I personally find virtually no difference between any of them in usage, but a "BIG" difference between the Jack Black/Proraso and Corn Huskers in price..I shave out of the shower..Do a Kyle prep,hot towel, apply Corn Huskers, then lather and shave....:)

12. swarden43

For me, yes.

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I enjoy using a pre-shave oil. I used Floids for a while & it was decent. I then decided to make my own & haven't had one regret.
    See here: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/how-to-make-your-own-pre-shave-oil.31132/

More recenty, I have been using the Proraso PreShaving cream.
    [​IMG]

I enjoyed both the scent and the cooling menthol feel it provided. :)

However......
    I have had both my son and wife asking each other, "What is he wearing? He smells like an old man wearing Vick's Vapor Rub?"
    :angry019:
    Sure enough, they ONLY asked that whenever I used this product.
    Needless to say, I am in the market for a NEW preshave cream/balm.
    Currently I am working on a batch of homemade balm that will NOT contain Eucalyptus.....;)

14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've been using Corn Huskers lotion as a preshave...It works as well as either Proaso or Jack Black for me..And it's "WAY" cheaper...Certainly worth considering....:)

15. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

Corn Huskers imho is by far the best pre-shave product out there. there, i said it!

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    So you've tried them all?

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Isn't Corn huskers a hand-lotion? ;)

18. Heloguy

no, i meant out of all the ones I've tried, "imho" cornhuskers was the best.

19. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Well, then, you'd have to tell us what you have tried, for your statement to be truly helpful. :)

20. Heloguy

You have a point.....
    I have tried:
    Proraso Pre/Post green original
    Proraso Pre/Post green New
    Shave Secret
    King of Shaves menthol
    Cornhuskers
    And one other that slips my mind.

I get the best glide, and slickness from Cornhuskers. Just my 2 cents.

Queen of Blades likes this.