Preshave oil and beard oil

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by tdw, Aug 27, 2017.

1. tdw

tdw New Member

Is there any difference between a preshave oil and a beard oil. When I look at the contents printed on the package of a preshave oil and the package of a beard oil I do not see much of a difference. All the local drug stores and marts seem to have a fairly large selection of beard oils and very little in a preshave oil. I like to use a preshave oil and wonder if anyone has any knowledge of both. It would be nice to have a larger variety of a preshave oils to choose from.

RaZorBurn123 and Zykris like this.
  2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I don't notice much of a difference. I just made my own beard oil that can be used as a preshave. It's just sweet almond oil with some essential oils.

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Both can be interchangeable.

Terry Williams likes this.
  4. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I also made what I use as a preshave oil...simply vitmin e oil and vanilla and bay rum e oils. Ive never used a beard oil, but can't imagine much, if any, differences.

5. The_Bearded_One

The_Bearded_One New Member

I currently just made 2 beard oil. One with Jojoba and Argan with some Eucalyptus and Tea Tree Oil and the other with Jojoba, Argan, Almond and some rose hip with tea tree and Eucalyptus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tdmsu and Zykris like this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

When I make pre-shave oil, I always add some castor oil, because it adds some slickness. I'm not sure that would be needed for a beard oil.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Tdmsu likes this.
  7. ajc347

ajc347 Well-Known Member

I think the difference between the use of a pre-shave or beard oil depends very much upon the consistency and viscosity of the oil in question. In my experience, some beard and shave oils work well as a present-shave oil whereas others don't.

I've posted a comparative review I'm 2/3 of the way through at the moment here:

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/pre-shave-oil-a-comparative-test.57460/

8. megmega

megmega New Member

I have not used preshave oil, I only have experience with beard oil, I think there are some differences between them. What can I think about what beard oil can do is to promote the growth of the beard. I think preshave oil probably has no such effect?

9. joshuakenneth

joshuakenneth New Member

Hey. I received an email from a company telling me how I should be using pre-shave oil, i haven't had any real desire to purchase or use said oil, I wondered if anyone else used it, and wouldn't shave without it or if it just no more than snake oil, what's your thoughts guys

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My husband & I both love using pre-shave oil. We find it gives us smoother shaves with less irritation. Other folks find it makes no difference. The only way to know is to try it for yourself.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm in the "makes no difference" camp.
    Used it for a while in my early years and found it really did nothing extra for me.
    As @Sara-s said, the only way to know is to try it for yourself.

Sara-s likes this.