Preshave wipe away

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by ken brooks, Jul 21, 2018.

1. ken brooks

ken brooks Member

I always use a generous amount of my own preshave recipe.
    Put it on,
    Groom to give it time to work
    Wipe it off with a dry wash cloth
    Lather
    Shave
    After your beard is softened and any excess is only good for clogging your razor.
    Works for me

2. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

OK, Ken. You got me on the hook. What is your recipe?

RyX likes this.
  3. ken brooks

ken brooks Member

Honestly, for a light beard I use a little Proraso. For a stump forest I use 1 part castor oil and 2 parts conditioner and apply a Tbsp. or more. Brands don’t matter that much for preshave in my opinion.Thats when wiping it off works well.

Demidog likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have used Proraso for years, but I have never wiped it off. I wet my face and apply just a fingertips worth. Then I just face lather on top of it. Never had a problem with clogging. For the past two weeks, I have not used a preshave. I just rinse my face with cold water, load my brush, and begin to face lather. I have cut out a step, and honestly, I have not missed it.

brit and Demidog like this.
  5. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I use Proraso pre-shave and I never wipe it off. It's insurance against weepers and nicks. I've never had an issue with it clogging the razor.

I do agree with wiping off thicker pre-shaves however. When I use TSD pre-shave, I put some on before my shower and then wash it off. It leaves my face moisturized so that the shave is smoother.

Jayaruh likes this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

To keep from clogging a razor or having to wipe preshave off.....just skip it. Dosn't do anything anywho. Just saying.....

Jayaruh likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Well the Proraso preshave does add a little menthol action to a Williams face lather.

brit and RyX like this.
  8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I've been using Stirling mentholated preshave soap for the past few months. After showering I'll work up a lather in my hands and scrub it on my beard. Then I'll let it sit while I lather the shave soap. Once the lather is ready I'll wash off the preshave soap and then face lather. Works well for me.

Is it a necessary element? No. Do I enjoy using it? Yes. That's all that matters.

brit and RyX like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I think @GarnerPW was adding a few frops of Mbomb to his williams lathers. Said it felt nice.

The most important thing is if you enjoy it!! Veddy important to remember!

brit and PLAla like this.