Preshaves

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by jbcohen, Aug 21, 2007.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Over half way there, Jim. Hang in there. Just a couple more hours... :happy069:

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The hubby & I both use pre-shave oil and find it very helpful in reducing razor friction. I make it myself (75% sweet almond oil to 25% castor oil. ) Some folks love it and others do not find it helpful.. There's one way to find out if it will work for you.

3. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I tried Clubman oil and was not impressed.

4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Bodywash in the shower does it for me.

5. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

Proraso red pre/post shave works really well for me, sometimes I use it between every pass.

6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

In my opinion- not necessarily. Softening the wiskers helps, but warm water can do that.

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Nobody can tell you what:s good for your face. Try some out.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

8. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

I like a pre-shave but still haven't found the right one. I don't like the oils as they tend to be messy though Maggards worked about the best for me of any oil I tried as it is seem to be a little lighter than some others to me. Still even Maggards is messy and a pain to clean up from. I've tried a couple of the soaps and they are ok but still haven't found the right one. So I guess I am still searching for the right pre-shave product if there even is such a thing.

9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

This will improve your shave to a more closer one in a Low humidity winter place especialy or any enviroment.
    1- wet the face with water and let stay on wet.
    2- brush the teeth (2 minutes)
    3-wet face-put a hot or warm wet face cloth on the beard for 30-40 seconds and do it again for 30-40 seconds.(That is relaxing:happy108:)
    4- wet the face with water again.
    5- put some clear Aloe vera Gel on the beard area.(this hydrates the beard to maximum)>(I bought some at Walmart)
    6- leave the aloe on the beard while mixing up the lather to let the hair follicles soak it up for optimum results.
    7- Put the Shave lather right over the Aloe and shave with a rinsed warm wet razor!
    (I was applying the Aloe Gel on 1st step:rolleyes005:and its not as effective-apply on the 5th step for better results IMO):rolleyes:
    This sequence of steps have given me excellent results in a cold dry climate like Northern Canada.
    Worth trying if you are not getting the good results with same equipment in the summer months-adds a few minutes to the shave if time is available. Check your humidity gauge if you have one:shocked003:
    Aloe has been a known for centuries as a healing agent for burns, minor cuts and moisturizer of skin, heck even the cartridge manufactures have a Aloe moisturizer wear strips on their latest generation of blades. Its my new pre-shave holy grail, you can add a little oil to this to do trials and I have used Nivea natural body milk. The skin just loves it with a straight application of Aloe vera gel and getting excellent close shaves with good skin tone.
    This clear aloe vera after the Pharmist asked me what I was searching for , found it in the essential natural oils area not in the maze of body lotions at our local Walmart. Ask if you can not find it there.
    [​IMG]
    Lots of folks are not sold on Pre-shave products because they shower every day and hydrate the beard whiskers some what and when they apply the pre-shave they do not notice much change IMO. For people who do not shower daily it will help soften the beard whiskers for the razor edge to slice them if a pre-shave product is used-law of physics "softer is easier to slice".

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    john zeiger likes this.
  10. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Thank you much Ron. I'll have to give this a try.

11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That's one of the Clubmen I haven't tried.

12. Kraken98

Kraken98 Well-Known Member

I'm relatively new to wet shaving and I have some fairly coarse hair and I find a nice thin layer of oil helps the blade glide through them but having said that as in all things experimenting is key. Don't base your decisions on the advice of others try it yourself and see what you like and form your own oppinions!

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Sara-s likes this.