Previously unknown Rotbart-Gillette connection

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Jun 14, 2022.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Screenshot_20220614-111358_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220614-111425_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220614-111444_Facebook.jpg
    A long time ago, there were two models (if I remember correctly) of British Techs that had German style two-piece handles with Gillette style knurling, and it always bugged me as being atypical for Gillette's standard 'type' for the brand, and why it was such a short lived Gillette product.

Now I realize it was a bit of style bleed over from the Gillette aquisition of Rotbart, and the Gillette two-piece handles may have been made by Gillette owned Rotbart for Gillette U.K.

@brit can you add any info on this?
    Edit: Here is a 1930's Rotbart 5026.
    Screenshot_20220614-112808_Facebook.jpg

2. brit

brit in a box

beyond the gillette sets i have seen and owned i know little of their origin.i did own a 2 piece handled made in germany old type copy in the small silver square silver pocket case and a Mond Extra single ring copy.i had 2 brit techs with the 2 piece handle,one barber pole knurling,one smooth.the canadian techs both flat bottom and triangular baseplate had 2 versions as well,one like a #58 and one smooth with 2 lines on the bottom handle section.. 1946 (R1 on blade) NEW set No26_edited.jpg 1938-1945 Khaki Set Canada.jpeg 1938-45 4-pice Tech Canada.jpeg 1940s 4-piece Tech England.jpeg 1940s No26 British used blade box with Tech.jpg

i believe there are some other variants of these sets.i think the rothbart gillete versions could be the earliest tech designs out there.full credit to Mr.Razor for these fine pics and examples.

3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Not as similar as I remembered, then. Beautiful razors all.

brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

you can see where the gillette new rfb came from..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PLANofMAN and Frijolero like this.
  5. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

I really like the vest pocket razor in the first 2 pictures that has the red lining in the case. Is that one that you own?

brit likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    No. It was a recent aquisition by a guy on Facebook. My understanding is that it was part of a razor lot or other grouping. The cost for that particular razor was half a Euro.

brit and Aztecmike like this.
  7. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

Wow. What a deal! I have been on the lookout for that particular set myself.

brit likes this.
  8. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

The Gillete two-piece handle was not design to fit in khaki set, it is a bathroom stand design

brit likes this.